Startup Questions

LisaRH

May 30, 2013
I just purchased a small AG pool and need help getting started....
I filled the pool Saturday and have been adding "Small pool sanitizer" (dichloro-s-triazinetrione dehydrate - 55% available chlorine) and borax every evening. The chlorine level is 3 after I add- and again in the morning. By the evening it is down to .6. I am adding 8 tsp./day of the dichlor with an equal amount of borax.

I have read pool school, but I am not sure how to apply it to my specific pool.
I need to make this work without spending a fortune, but I don't know what I really HAVE to have. This was a $100 pool for a 5 year old... I need to keep it safe on a small budget.
I know I will have to have a vacuum or some way to clean the dirt/grass off of the floor... any recommendations for something inexpensive that works well enough for a small pool? I can't upgrade the filter right now.

Also, this morning I noticed clear stuff floating on the very top layer of the water... could that be mosquito eggs?? How can I get rid of and prevent that?

Thanks for any help!
Lisa

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

So you saw this article?
pool-school/temporary_pool_guide

For a pool that size, you should really need only about 1-2 oz of dichlor every day ... after about 2 weeks (when the CYA becomes higher) you could switch to adding about 1 cup of 8.25% bleach everyday to maintain the FC.

With a pool that size, a drain and refill is the cheapest solution if the water gets out of control.

Thank you!!
I have been researching for days and just got overwhelmed. That article is exactly what I need. And, I have no idea if I have read it :oops: .

Any idea about the stuff floating on top of the water?
And.. do I need a vacuum? If so what is an inexpensive option that will get the job done?
Thank you again!

No idea what is floating on the water.

A vacuum would help to keep the dirt out ... as I know the kids will be tracking dirt and grass into the pool. Find something cheap ... like maybe the Aqua Broom.

Thank you. I will look into that vacuum.
I have no idea either... It looks like mosquitos eggs, but I didn't think that was possible with the chlorinated water and pump running 24/7.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.