Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Am I finished with ALK and Ph?

1. Back To Top    #1

Am I finished with ALK and Ph?

After more than two weeks of aicd/aeration, I hope I'm finished. I'm out of acid and hope I'm where I need to be. This mornings test results with my TF test kit:

FC 3.0
    CC0.0
    Ph7.2
    ALK 90 (Although the pool store, which I cannot stay out of, said it was 60.)
    CYA 30

I have a severe lack of confidence when reading Ph, so I keep running back to the pool store. They read results with a little light box that connects to a computer and spits me out a printout with results and how to fix it. They want me to raise my ALK which I spent the last two weeks lowering from 280. I know better! The pool still looks clean and sparkly and that makes me really happy!
    Midland TX, 20,000 gal fiberglass, StaRite pump, cartridge filter, 3 returns, BBB second year

2. Back To Top    #2
    IF your pool store is using little square vials with chemicals that they add water to and then read in the colorimeter connected to the computer then trust your readings and not theirs on the TA. We use the same system where I work and it has some problems with the alk and Ch tests and the titration (drop count) tests are much more accurate! Also, if you follow the recommenedation on the printout for raising ALK you will overdose your pool and need to lower it again.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Everything looks great except the pH which is a tad low. I am having fabulous results with borax! It and bleach are the only chems I've had to add this year after startup. My TA is staying level at 90 and my pH hovers at 7.5. I haven't had to do any further adjustments in four weeks (other than bleach, of course) and I am one delighted pool owner!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Am I finished with ALK and Ph?

Quote Originally Posted by midlander
    After more than two weeks of aicd/aeration, I hope I'm finished. I'm out of acid and hope I'm where I need to be. This mornings test results with my TF test kit:

FC 3.0
    CC0.0
    Ph7.2
    ALK 90 (Although the pool store, which I cannot stay out of, said it was 60.)
    CYA 30

I have a severe lack of confidence when reading Ph, so I keep running back to the pool store. They read results with a little light box that connects to a computer and spits me out a printout with results and how to fix it. They want me to raise my ALK which I spent the last two weeks lowering from 280. I know better! The pool still looks clean and sparkly and that makes me really happy!
    Last year some of us were saying the same thing about the ability to read the pH 'colors'. I believe it was Waterbear that posted this color info for us. I found it to be helpful to me, so I got a copy on my desktop! Funny, after a while I don't need to refer to it anymore

Here is the info, and I will check w/Waterbear to see if I am correct that it came from him.
    [ETA: Confirmed by Waterbear that he is the author! ]

above 8.2 purple
    8.0-8.2 purplish red
    7.8 pinkish red with a hint of purple
    7.6 red
    7.4-7.5 red with an orange cast
    7.2 orange
    7.0 yellow orange
    6.8 and below yellow

So, general rule. My brain says red or redish orange good. All other colors need adjustment. Reading pH is so simple for some, but others of us struggle and may need a little extra help!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Gosh that looks perfect to me....I'm a little jealous. My TA is a bit high but I have no motivation to lower it. Congrats.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com