Heavily stained fg pool with red/rust scale? (pics attached)

Re: Heavily stained fg pool with red/rust scale? (pics attac

Amazing instructions! Thank you so much for being so thorough!

I mopped the pool tonight....I noticed that the brush (although fairly new) was doing a bad job of cleaning the walls but my thumb did a great job, so I got one of those old sponge mops with no metal parts and started mopping. I wiped and rinsed every couple of feet. I got a lot of stuff out of there! I am so pleased with the results, that I have attached a picture! This picture was taken in approximately the same place that the picture showing algae and finger marks was taken. I was able to clean the walls very well. The bottom, I couldn't reach with my mop. I will have to vac to get that mess.

I read your post carefully and then read it again several times. It does make sense. I just have a couple of quick questions because I don't want to waste time or money. Should I vac the entire pool on waste before I start adding chemicals, or will the chemicals clean it all up? I have a cartridge filter, so I can't backwash. I have to pull the cartridges out and clean them carefully. That process takes at minimum an hour.

Also, I have already started adding the cya as directed. Do I complete that before I start to raise the calcium hardness?

Thanks again so much!

Attachments

• IMG03319-20130612-1946.jpg
    IMG03319-20130612-1946.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 28
Re: Heavily stained fg pool with red/rust scale? (pics attac

smhill,

Thank you for the compliment.

You bring up an excellent point, I should have included that in the instructions, vacuum to waste as soon as you can.

And as you cannot backwash your filter it might be a good idea to do put the pool on re-circulate, bypassing the filter, on the first, and possibly the second day of the chlorine treatment, once the CyA is up to 30.

Then, brush/mop each day and vacuum to waste during the chlorine shock treatment, you will loose a little of the chemical balance, but you can adjust for those small differences once the chlorine goes back to 5 ppm, after the treatment is over.

I would start to run it on filter by day three, also perhaps just for an hour each on the first two days to get some 20 ppm chlorine in it.

You can add the calcium at any time, and best to do it as soon as possible, but as I stated pre-mixing might avoid localized staining.

Good luck, and keep coming with the pictures, they really do speak a thousand words. It certainly looks a lot better, hopefully your treatment will only take a few days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.