Heavily stained fg pool with red/rust scale? (pics attached)

Re: Heavily stained fg pool with red/rust scale? (pics attac

My guess is you have algae, some metal staining, and more algae.... Nowhere in your timeline do you indicate that you went through the shock process. You say the water was balanced, and maybe it was balanced that particular minute, but it certainly was not stable since you were adding muriatic acid, borax, and a bunch of other things.

You really need to slooooooowwwww dooooowwwwwnnnnnn if you want anyone here to be able to understand your situation and give meaningful advice.

For starters, you need to abandon any thoughts of stain removal for at least the next few weeks. You need to start with the basics - get the water right before thinking about the next steps.

As was said before, please post a complete set of current (today) test results:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Then we can help.....

Maybe I read the msds wrong on the sequestrant, but the one I found had sodium citrate as the active ingredient.

It's hard to say if it's algae or just the metals showing back up because it was already cloudy from the AA treatment. I'd keep treating it and when the filter needs cleaning, see what the stuff it's catching feels like. It could be the sequestrant binding and clumping the metal oxides and it'll filter some out if it is.

rdhetrick said:
My guess is you have algae, some metal staining, and more algae.... Nowhere in your timeline do you indicate that you went through the shock process. You say the water was balanced, and maybe it was balanced that particular minute, but it certainly was not stable since you were adding muriatic acid, borax, and a bunch of other things.

You really need to slooooooowwwww dooooowwwwwnnnnnn if you want anyone here to be able to understand your situation and give meaningful advice.

For starters, you need to abandon any thoughts of stain removal for at least the next few weeks. You need to start with the basics - get the water right before thinking about the next steps.

As was said before, please post a complete set of current (today) test results:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Then we can help.....

Yes, I did go through the shock process. I thought I just needed to go through the timeline of the AA treatment...not from the beginning. Since I started this post in May, I have gone through the shock process and passed the overnight FC loss test. The pool was clear and balanced before I started the AA treatment. If you can, look at my pics from my very first post...we have come a longgg way from that mess! :)

Here are the latest results:

FC 0
CC 0
TC 0
pH 7.8
TA 190
CH 280
CYA 0

When I got the sample, I ran my finger along the wall. Picture attached-

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 103

Most likely algae. You can either perform the shock process to completion and then redo the AA treatment, or you can try to get rid of the stains and then raise the sequestrant level to compensate for the shock level, and then perform the shock process to completion.

I read that I wasn't supposed to shock within two weeks of the treatment or the staining would return. If I start raising everything, won't the staining that has been removed return?

At this point, I need to know what is going to be the most economical move. What do you think?

I traded the sequa-sol for Jack's Blue Stuff at the pool store. They tested the pool water. I sent the sample with someone else and it had been in the sample bottle for a couple of hours before the water got tested. I don't know if that changed anything or not.

FC .13
CC 0
TC .13
pH 7.8
CH 135
TA 98
CYA 2
Copper 0
Iron .1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

smhill,

Your latest test numbers are:

FC .13
CC 0
TC .13
pH 7.8
CH 135
TA 98
CYA 2
Copper 0
Iron .1

What method was used to do this test? If chemical reagents was it Taylor?

Previous numbers were:

FC 0
CC 0
TC 0
pH 7.8
TA 190
CH 280
CYA 0

What method was used to do this test? If chemical reagents was it from this forum, or Taylor?

The differences in TA and CH are large and will affect the advice given to you as to how to correct your issues. For example a high TA of 190 might require a small additional step, but if it is 98 then it is not required.

What needs to be done to your pool to solve your issues is very dependent on accurate numbers. Without these accurate numbers you will be wasting, in all probability, more money on chemicals, than you will be by buying yourself a proper test kit.

So the question is what kits, test strips, or meters were used.

As stated many times on this forum do not use test strips.

Many pool stores now use an electronic testing machine that prints out a strip of paper that tells you the numbers it has calculated. The problem here is that too often these machines are incorrectly calibrated, or not calibrated often enough with proper solutions, or calibration tools. This then gives incorrect measurements. In my personal experience unless you know that these stores are calibrating correctly you should not trust the numbers given. I personally paid one of the busiest pool stores in Honolulu five dollars just to see how they compared to my up-to-date Taylor test kit, the results were so far off as to be laughable.

pH meters especially need to be cleaned and calibrated often to be accurate, and the chemicals to do this are not inexpensive.

You really need to get hold of either the test kit that is available from this forum, or a Taylor test kit if you want proper numbers. In any event you will need to test your pool yourself in the future, once you have corrected your issues, on a daily (perhaps) or every other day, weekly, and monthly basis.

If you do buy the Taylor test kit make sure you call Taylor to make sure the bottles are still usable, as some of these kits have chemicals that are out of date. Read out the code on the bottle to them and they will confirm when they expire, the number is 1-800-837-8548. Let the pool store assistant hear you by turning on your speaker phone, and ask the pool store for a replacement if the bottles will expire soon, or have expired.

Your CyA seems to be too low, at a minimum it would need to be 20 ppm, better still at 30 ppm, as you are going to need to shock again. And while initially it will require more liquid chlorine in the beginning it will cut down on subsequent additions, as the chlorine will be protected somewhat from the sunlight. You will probably have to maintain shock levels for a number of days, maybe even a week, or longer until the water is crystal clear.

Then the stains can be dealt with more easily. To avoid confusion clear well balanced water first, stain treatment next.

But until you can supply accurate numbers I fear you will continue to have issues and continue wasting your money.

I apologize if this seems a little tough but I think that persons who has tried to help above have pointed this out, but I feel it needed to be stated more emphatically.

Quick final question, when you did your shocking with chlorine did you add acid to compensate for the rise in pH?

Good luck, and let us know when you have numbers you know you can trust, Then the resolution should be fairly straight forward.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment. The numbers that start with FC 0 were done with my TF-100. The numbers that start with FC .13 are fom the pool store. They use WaterLink DataMate 10. When I tested with my tf-100, it was with a fresh sample. The sample that went to the pool store was a few hours in the sample bottle before it was tested. Both were done today.

My tf-100 is new and was purchased from tftestkits.net.

Honestly, I did not take your response as tough. I appreciate direct. When I made updated posts I didn't go through the whole history again. I assumed that when someone responded, they had read the whole history. I am sure that has been frustrating for those that have tried to help. I apologize for ambiguity and confusion. I was just trying to be succinct.

I am going to use my numbers as the baseline and start the shock process using those. I have been working on this since late May. I have opened our pools for 20 years and I have never had this much trouble with a pool!

Thank you all again for you patience and help!

smhill,

Well it is great to know you have a good test kit. The question now is should we take these numbers as the correct ones?

FC 0
CC 0
TC 0
pH 7.8
TA 190
CH 280
CYA 0

If you let us know I think we will be able to offer some helpful advice.

The WaterLink DataMate 10, from LaMotte looks like a decent piece of equipment, however very careful handling is needed otherwise errors could occur, such as from their own instructions:

http://www.lamotte.com/spin_support/us/images/baffles/3576-MN_baffle.pdf

"The disk should not contain any large air bubbles. Air bubbles will result in erroneous results. The disk should not be overfilled. If the disk is over filled, sample water will flow out of the overflow hole in the center of the disk. The disk is not leaking. Wet disks should be dried thoroughly with a lint free wipe."

"The disk should be handled only by the edges. Avoid touching the top or bottom of the disk. The light passes through the non-frosted areas of the disk so these areas must be kept free of smudges and fingerprints. Wet disks should never be placed in the meter. Wet disks should be dried with a lint-free cloth before placing them into the chamber."

"Disks are sensitive to moisture. Avoid opening more packs than needed. Disks have a limited shelf life and should not be exposed to the humidity in the air more than necessary."

And finally the syringe must be cleaned after each use. The weakness here maybe that either some other persons pool water might be in the sample, if not cleaned properly, or it could be diluted with regular water left over in the syringe.

If you do let them test again it might be a good idea to monitor them personally.

Oh, and I lived just outside Memphis, 33 years ago, and we loved Arkansas, a truly beautiful state.

Let us know.

smhill,

Six questions before we start, please answer all six, and the question on type of chlorine in bold print below, thank you:

1. Could you re-test your alkalinity (TA) and calcium hardness (CH), posting the results? In regards to alkalinity, the closer it is to around 90 ppm or 100 ppm, although 150 ppm would be the top end, the more effective will be the control over chlorine and pH, and their effectiveness. Getting the correct reading will help determine the amount of Muriatic Acid in the overall process.

2. Is the slime brownish-yellow, or reddish-brown? Can you smell a slightly rotten egg sulfur smell if you get close to it? This would indicate iron bacteria, not normally harmful to health but just ugly, and can cause stains. This might have occurred when "the heater shot rust", some of it might also be due to iron in the leaves, etc. There are two ways to deal with this, I will let you decide which you prefer. It also requires more chlorine than green algae to kill it.

3. Do you have an in-pool cleaner, for example a Polaris?

4. What type of liquid chlorine have you been using and what is its concentration 5.25%, 6,%, 8%, or 8.25%? Where do you purchase it from? Assuming you used liquid chlorine, or did you some other type, and if so, what was its chemical name, percentage, and cost per pound?

5. Could you please take a reading of the following on the water you use to fill the pool (fill water); chlorine, pH, alkalinity, calcium hardness? These readings might be useful later.

6. How much Algaecide 60, in ounces, did you add since you started your treatment?

Getting your CyA (Cyanuric Acid) up to a reading of 30 ppm, will reduce the total overall amount of chlorine needed to remove the algae, but the initial dose of chlorine required will be higher. When the water is finally crystal clear it would be best to raise the CyA to 50 ppm. For your pool you will need 67 oz (4 lb 3 oz) by weight of Cyanuric Acid, to raise it to 30 ppm. Then later, assuming we will need to backwash a number of times, about the same amount to raise it to around 50 ppm, possibly slightly more.

Buy the Cyanuric Acid right now, and add it right now, adding 1/2 cup through the skimmer every half-hour until the 33 oz is done on day one, and 34 oz is done on day two, ideally run the pool 24/7, if you can. We want to get the level up to 30 ppm; it might take 3 or 4 days.

You are going to need the following at some time during the process:

Liquid chlorine, which is typically the easiest to use as it does not raise the calcium levels, but heavy and bulky. There are other types of chlorine that are not so bulky or heavy, and might come in somewhat more expensive, but require some adjustment to your calcium level if it is truly 280. Walmart is often inexpensive for chlorine. All chlorine types, require the addition of Muriatic Acid, to offset the rise in pH.

Bear in mind that you might go through as much as 1600 oz (12 1/2 gallons - approximate dry weight 104 1/4 lb) in a weeks time, of 5.25% liquid chlorine, possibly more. If you used 65% Cal-Hypo, you might need about 9 lbs (dry weight), but it is best to mix the required batch weight, a pound, or less, at a time, in a big tub of water first, and then pour it into the pool. Then you might still need to brush the bottom of the pool to mix it.

Which type do you prefer to use?

Chemical needs and sources:

1. Muriatic Acid, amount needed will be determined by your alkalinity level, and the length of time it takes to get your pool crystal clear, but not yet stain free. Where I live Ace Hardware is the least expensive. Needed now.

2. Cyanuric Acid (CyA), Walmart, Home Depot, or Lowes are inexpensive sources. Needed now.

3. Jack's Magic Pink Stuff, about 4 bottles when doing stain removal, not before. Needed later.

4. Ascorbic Acid, about 4 lbs when doing stain removal, not before. Needed later.

6. Liquid chlorine, Walmart, or non-liquid chlorine, pool store for sure, possibly Walmart, Home Depot, or Lowes. Needed now.

7. Borax, multiple stores, when doing stain removal, not before. Needed later.

You might be doing a lot of vacuuming to waste, for a number of days, and some filter cleaning.

Let me know, and I can calculate the liquid ozs of acid and chlorine required.

OH MY GOODNESS! That post made me feel so hopeful! Thank you!

1) Here are the results taken just a few moments ago:
Fill water (city) Pool
FC 1.5 0
CC 0.5 0
TC 2 0
pH 7.2 7.8
TA 30 190
CH 170 170 (I checked it twice.)
CYA 0 0

2) The slime was reddish/brown yesterday. Today it is green. I have attached the latest pictures below. There is visible algae now, and the pool is still cloudy (should be because I haven't done anything yet.)

3) I no longer have an in-pool cleaner. The Polaris bit the dust years ago.

4)Here are my chemicals:

I have 4 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine
13.5 gallons 6% bleach (Ace Hardware had it for <$1 last week.)
1.5 gallons of muriatic acid 31.45% (20 degrees Baume)
12# baking soda
6# borax (20 Mule Team)
8# of 96% cya (some of it is a year old)
32 oz of Regal 60 algaecide (polyquat)
32 oz of Jack's blue stuff
2# ascorbic acid (United Chemical Pool Stain Treat)

I am heading out to start adding the cya. I anxiously await further instructions. Thank you again!

Attachments

• IMG03317-20130612-1609.jpg
    IMG03317-20130612-1609.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG03315-20130612-1609.jpg
    IMG03315-20130612-1609.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG03316-20130612-1609.jpg
    IMG03316-20130612-1609.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 55

A Cautionary Note to The Casual Reader

These instructions are specifically for smhill's pool only and should not be applied to even slightly similar pools or similar situations

smhill's pool particular pool size - 16,800 gallons, pool type - Fiberglass, issues - algae, mineral staining, and chemical balance issues

Experienced pool keepers might gain some benefit from the discussion

Inexperienced pool keepers, sometimes referred to as "Newbies" are advised to seek individual help instructions for their particular situations, by posting to this forum and receiving advise from members who choose to respond.

Thank you, smallpooldad.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

smhill,

Thank you for doing all those checks. Keep it up with the pictures, they help a lot. It was good to see the algae being slime green, and not the other colors, then probably no iron bacteria.

The following instructions are quite long, but necessary to get it done correctly, and to a "newbie" might be overwhelming. If they are, please feel free to ask questions, and point out to me where I might make it clearer. My old teacher used to say "The only stupid question is the one you (in that case, me) should have asked."

Important Note:

DO NOT RUSH THIS PROCESS OR YOU MIGHT DAMAGE YOUR POOL

Note: During the chlorine shock it is a good idea to clean your filter as needed, and vacuum the pool twice daily, or more if necessary. The filter may be heavily blocked after 8 hours on the first day, or two.

First, add 124 oz of Calcium Chloride Anhydrous, or 164 oz of Calcium Chloride Dihydrate to increase your calcium hardness to a minimum safe level of 220 ppm. Recommended minimum for a fiberglass pool is 220, max is 320. Mixing first 4 lbs at a time, in a large 16 gallon pail, with plain water, is better than dumping it in the pool, which might create stains as your pool is currently unbalanced, and has algae. After you add it to the large pail of water, be careful when mixing it, the water becomes very hot in the first 5 minutes.

Next step is to get the alkalinity down to around 120 ppm. This will give us better control over the pH rising too fast when the chlorine starts to be added, it should also, hopefully, lower the pH. We want the pH at around 7.3, when we later start adding the chlorine. The lower the pH the better the chlorine works.

This pH Acid addition is the most complicated part, you might want to ask questions:

In total you will need to add 300 oz of Muriatic acid, in the first 2 days, to drive down the Alkalinity from 190 ppm to 120 ppm. After that more acid will be needed, for the shocking process.

Do this four times with 8 hour intervals between each pour over 2 days, by walking around the pool slowly pouring in the acid.

Example 75 oz, at 8am tomorrow, then 75 oz at 4 pm tomorrow, then 75 oz, at 8am the day AFTER tomorrow, then 75 oz at 4 pm the day AFTER tomorrow.

Very important:

Each time just before adding additional acid, after the 8 hour wait, check the pH, if it is below 7.3 ppm, or the alkalinity has dropped to 120 ppm, DO NOT ADD more acid, wait 8 hours more and test again.

Then on the day, when the alkalinity measures near 120 ppm and pH is still not 7.3, add 14 oz of acid for each 0.2 ppm over the pH of 7.3.

If the alkalinity is still over 120 ppm and the pH is not lower than 7.3 , add 43 oz of acid for every 10 ppm over 120.

Once in balance:

Initially just after the sunsets, add 430 oz of 10% bleach, or 804 oz of Ace's bleach, to get the chlorine up to shock level of 20 ppm, then immediately add 61 oz of acid to compensate for the rise in pH. Run the pump all night.

The reason for 20 ppm, is to allow for a measure of insurance in case you cannot get to it often enough.

Important:

After sunrise the following morning, check the chlorine ppms, if possible, every two hours, ON THE FIRST DAY, it will keep dropping a lot on the first day.

The chlorine ppm needs to kept at around 20 ppm, or above until the pool is "Crystal Clear", this make take up to a week.

For each 5 ppm of chlorine lost you need to add either 110 oz of 10% bleach, or 200 oz of the "Ace Hardware" bleach, and 15 oz of acid.

In both cases you need to compensate the pH rise with 15 oz of acid for every 5 ppm of chlorine you add, the 15 oz of acid is the same for each type of bleach.

How to check the chlorine level at high levels:

Take a measuring cup and put 4 oz pool water and 20 oz tap water, then mix, then pour into your chlorine tester the amount needed. This should measure 5.0 ppm of chlorine, which equates to a real ppm of 20. I did this to compensate for the 2 ppm of total chlorine in your tap water.

Measure only "Total Chlorine" for now.

If it measures 2 ppm add 15 ppm of chlorine and 45 oz acid, if 3 ppm add 10 ppm of chlorine and 30 oz acid. If it measure halfway between 5 ppm and 3 ppm add 5 ppm chlorine and 15 oz of acid.

Over night:

Add an extra 5 ppm of chlorine and 15 oz of acid, when you are sleeping. You cannot check the pH at these high levels until the chlorine ppms drop below 10 ppm. Do not worry about CyA, calcium hardness, or alkalinity tests either.

Once the pool is "Crystal Clear":

Allow one more day, or two (Zen Patience Training), at 20 ppm of chlorine. Then let the chlorine ppms fall naturally to 5 ppm, and keep it there for a month or so, this level should keep any hidden algae issues under control.

Once the chlorine falls to below 10 ppm, this being below 3 ppm using the "High Levels" mixture, you will be able to measure pH again, then use this boards "Pool Calculator", to adjust your chemicals. Do not forget to plug in your pool gallons or you will be calculating for 10,000 gallons. If the pH is above 7.2 but below 7.6 when you measure, let it rise naturally to 7.6. If below 7.2, then adjust immediately with either Borax, washing soda, or soda ash, as indicated by this calculator.

http://www.poolcalculator.com/

Then try to maintain the following balance for your Fiberglass pool:

FC 4.5 or above
CC 0 or 0.5
TC 5
pH 7.6
TA 120 (max 150) (Note at a certain TA, between 70 and 150, the pH will rise very slowly and the TA will hold at least for a week or two, that then is the best TA number, achieved by trial and error, every pool is different)
CH 220 (min 220 max 320)
CYA 50

This will give you a CSI of + 0.08, considered balanced.

Then you are ready for stain removal. I will cover that in a follow-up post.

You do not need to maintain your pH at 7.3 as the iron problem was created by your heater, and not continuing iron problems from fill water, or windborne iron. You also do not need to add Jack's Pink sequestrant until the stain removal process is started. If you add it before you might be wasting money, as it will have little effect on the stains at a pH above 7.4. The reason being, in your particular case, as the saying goes, is that "The Iron Stain Train" has already left the station.

Good luck, let us know how it goes, and may " The Patience of Job", be with you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.