Starting numbers...

Jul 22, 2011
Finally got everything situated and starting the shock process... here is what I have so far... i have a concern on the PH, but should I stress it right now, or wait til shock process is complete?

FC: 10
CC: .5
CYA: 0
PH: 8+
TA: 100
CH: 140

Instead of starting off with bleach (stenner not quite setup yet), I decided to go with dichlor bags to shock and (hopefully) get a start on the CYA, but I bought a bucket of it anyways. Everything else seems to be in range but the PH. Should I start tackling that now? If I do start bringing it down with muriatic acid, is it really "safe" to use in a vinyl pool? cause everything I read says that's a no no...

Step 1 in the shock process is lower the pH to the low 7s ... so, yeah, let your FC drop below 10ppm, adjust the pH, and get the CYA up to at least 30ppm or you will be losing alot of FC to the sun.

Although also realize that dichlor is going to lower the pH as well, so you have to make sure that it does not drop too far.

I guarantee you have not read anywhere on this site that MA can not be used in the vinyl pool ... just add it correctly by pouring slowing in front of a return jet.

DigiManTX said:
If I do start bringing it down with muriatic acid, is it really "safe" to use in a vinyl pool? cause everything I read says that's a no no...
As jbliz said, nothing on tfp indicates that (but pool stores like to scare people into buying their more expensive ph down). I use it on my vinyl agp with no problems. Just make sure you pour it into the flow at pool return with the pump running and leave the pump running for awhile after.

Acid is safe to use in your pool. Many add Acid to a big bucket of water to pre dilute it, and then pour around perimeter with the pump running.

Always add acid to water, not water to acid.

You need to get that pH down and you will have things headed in a good direction. Was your pH high before you started the Shocking process? pH is not very accurate at high FC levels.

:hammer: grrrr... should have read better... :hammer:

yes, the PH is that high before i added anything to it... but the water has been in the pool for about 5 days... was working on the plumbing (which i finished last night)... and i thought the whole point of the initial startup shock process was to do it without CYA, so that you use less chlorine... then again, if you're losing it to sunlight then yeah i get it... 6 in 1 hand, 1/2 doz... blah... ok...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.