Question about filter setting.

May 5, 2008
Louisville,KY
I am wanting to replace the sand in my Hayward st244 filter. Am I able to keep the pump running with the filter in the recirculate position while I am draining the water out of the filter? I am assuming the filter is completely bypassed with the multi-port in this setting. Correct? Want to keep moving water as long as possible as I am currently in Shock mode. Thanks.

tnewton7 said:
I am wanting to replace the sand in my Hayward st244 filter. Am I able to keep the pump running with the filter in the recirculate position while I am draining the water out of the filter? I am assuming the filter is completely bypassed with the multi-port in this setting. Correct? Want to keep moving water as long as possible as I am currently in Shock mode. Thanks.
Why do you want to replace it? Is it all full of baquacil sludge? Check this thread out. If you think the sand is clogged with algae or channelled, just open the thing up and rinse it out with a garden hose, as it says in this thread.

I would never try messing with the filter without having the circuit breakers off. All of them. You'll only lose maybe half an hour of filter time while you clean it or suck it out using a shop vac. The time saved is not worth the risk.

Copy that. When I am vacuuming the pool, within a couple of minutes the dirty water starts coming out of the returns back into the pool. Pulled the multi-port off, do not visibly see any channelling going on in there. The multi-port seems to be working properly.

Fairly regular. Couple of times a week during peak season. Have a lot of trees in a adjoining yard, so I vacuum quite frequently. I do not typically see high filter pressure readings. Is there a possibility that a person could backwash too much? This is the first year I have ever seen an issue with the dirty water coming back out in the returns.

No, you cannot backwash too much (within reason).

Dirty water can go back to your pool usually because there is some damage to the laterals at the bottom of your sand. Have you recently exposed them? Is your standpipe upright inside the filter? It sounds like it might be a good time to open up the filter and have a looksee for anything obvious. Report back when you get a chance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.