Replacing an old Whisperflow pump with an Intelliflo VF

Hawk

Aug 9, 2011
Southern California
I need some help and guidance from you guys in this replacement, as the power station has me perplexed.

We've had this 23,000 gal in ground chlorine pool/spa since 1996, running the original equipment as shown below. (Southern California area)

[attachment=1:3n5odia7]IMG_0609.JPG[/attachment:3n5odia7] [attachment=0:3n5odia7]IMG_0610.JPG[/attachment:3n5odia7]

The Whisperflow 2.0 has been great but is now leaking and getting noisy. I got a great deal on a new Intelliflow VF (011012) and can do the replacement/install myself, but my issue is what power station should I run? I understand by reading previous posts here that I can incorporate the existing Intermatic T20004R Control Panel (I even have a new one still in the box) not using the Intermatic timer, but I'm sure there has to be a more appropriate power station for this pump? Presently there is no automation, but would be something I'd like to upgrade to in the future. I will be adding new GFCI breakers as well.
Any help will be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0609.JPG
    IMG_0609.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0610.JPG
    IMG_0610.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 132
There are many approaches, of which the Easy Touch is towards the fancier/more expensive end of the range. A SunTouch system and separate sub-panel box would be less expensive and do much the same thing, though that means two electrical boxes. For even less than that, you could adapt your existing box, but that would be without pool/spa switching automation.

Jason thanks for the help and alternate ideas.
I'm leaning towards the Easy Touch mostly for future upgrades/automation capabilities. I've had the present setup with no automation at all, so it would be nice to be lazy a bit.
Any chance you know if the Minimax 400 can be controlled by the Easy Touch?

JasonLion said:
Yes, the Easy Touch can control just about any heater, including the Minimax 400.

Jason once hooked up to the control panel, will the heater thermostat control pool/spa temps or would the Easy Touch using it's water temp sensor?

Second question, presently I have the pool and spa lights on a X10 switch (can be turned on manually at the pump area or wireless). Can I do away with the X10 (including the manual switches) and control the pool lights with the Easy Touch? I ask mostly because in the future I will add the wireless capability and would like to only have one remote.

The EasyTocuh controls the water temperature and the thermostat on the heater is not used.

The EasyTouch can easily be setup to turn lights on and off. When you purchase the EasyTouch you need to decide how many different light circuits you might want to control and get one with enough relays for what you want to do.

I think I have a problem. I started buying items I needed for this upgrade starting with two new 180 degree actuators (Pentair 263045). I then went to order the 520591 Easy Touch and was told that was not the proper control system. :cry:
They said since I have two valves to operate (to switch between pool and spa) that needed to get the more expensive 520538. That the 4P 520591 control box will not control two valves? Any truth to this or they just selling me the same control box that includes the two actuators I already purchased?

I move these two handles. Self explanatory, but when I need to drain the spa I move the top handle to pool return and the bottom handle to spa filtering.
They said the 520591 could be used, but would have to hook up the two valve actuators to AUX A and AUX B.
The control box would not be able to set the proper valve openings if I want to drain the spa for cleaning. Does that make sense?

[attachment=0:23a6qzs8]handlecontrol.jpg[/attachment:23a6qzs8]

Attachments

• handlecontrol.jpg
    handlecontrol.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 59
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.