Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pump broke or not?

1. Back To Top    #1

pump broke or not?

ok the water in my pool is all nice and clear but one problem i have now is that when i turn on the pump to filter mode it doesnt seem like its circulating well as in it doesnt build up as much pressure as it did when i first turned it on this year but the water is circulating but the other problem is that it discharges water when in filter mode. so what could be the problem?
    20k fiberglass w/ vinal liner, 1Hp magneTek Centurion Switchless Motor, Hayward Pro Series high rate 20" sand filter, Hayward RP 2100 Digital Heater.

2. Back To Top    #2
    I assume you tried backwash\rinse?

PS.. where in MN are you?

I am in Cottage Grove!
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

3. Back To Top    #3

yea i tried that and it still shoots water out on filter mode where out in brooklyn park
    20k fiberglass w/ vinal liner, 1Hp magneTek Centurion Switchless Motor, Hayward Pro Series high rate 20" sand filter, Hayward RP 2100 Digital Heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Where does the water shot out? In filter mode does water come out your returns?
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

5. Back To Top    #5

it comes out of where the water comes out when you put it in backwash. it wont hold a prime so there is air getting in somewhere but i thought i had it fixed and everything but overnight it was missing about 6 inches of water the next morning so i have no idea whats going on here.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Hello Albert
    Is it side mount or top mount although that probally doesn't matter i think the problem is the multiport valve, inside is a thingy called a spider gasket and that could be your problem. if you think you your confident enough, you could take it apart and see if it is seated properly, or broken, they can be replaced.

edit hayward calls it a valve seat gasket
    Hope this helps
    Happy swims Frank
    here is website with some info

http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_valves_poolstor.htm
    Hello all from the land of smiles. Thailand. 5mx9mx1.5 63000L 16300 gall, pebbletex,
    pentair 1hp whisperflow, tagelus TA60 SF, swg monarch esc24 {a bit small for the tropics} 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2 astral 100watt lights. Planned and built by me
    an AUSSIE expat living thailand for 18 years.

7. Back To Top    #7

its a top mount with just the same vari-flo valve that comes with them. how do i take it apart? just on the top or what? so is it for sure a valve?

8. Back To Top    #8
    Hello Albert

I am sure it's the multi port valve. There could be something that is broken, so you could try and fix it yourself or get someone to come and do it.

On the top of the valve there should be some nuts or screws [ mine has six] if you undoe these the top part of the assembly should lift off and you can then see if anything looks broken, mainly the the valve seat gasket, it's round with spokes.

REMEMBER only do this if like pulling things apart and fixing them, or at least trying. otherwise get an expert!!! if you break anything it wasn't my fault.

Frank
    Hello all from the land of smiles. Thailand. 5mx9mx1.5 63000L 16300 gall, pebbletex,
    pentair 1hp whisperflow, tagelus TA60 SF, swg monarch esc24 {a bit small for the tropics} 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2 astral 100watt lights. Planned and built by me
    an AUSSIE expat living thailand for 18 years.