Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tried to add suction line for cleaner - I'm not a plumber

1. Back To Top    #1

Tried to add suction line for cleaner - I'm not a plumber

My 'ThePoolCleaner' works well but doesn't reach the shallow end. Putting the skimmer at the deep end was poor planning on my part. Anyway, my brother-in-law plumber was over yesterday, and after a couple of Mike's Lemonades we decided we would add a suction line that I could move down the side of the pool for the pool cleaner. He added the 'T' coming off to the side in the picture below. I added a 25-ft piece of 2" flex pipe and a converter fitting to reduce it to 1.5" for the pool cleaner. We primed it and got it going, but it does not have nearly enough suction to work the pool cleaner, even with the pump on high.

Was this just a bad idea ? Is it a better option to just order some more 'poolcleaner' hose ? I would need at least 3 more sections. I am just really cheap and tried to make it work with stuff I already had.

Thanks for any input.
    20x40 IG Vinyl
    33k Gallons
    Triton TR-100 Sand Filter
    Pentair WFDS-6

2. Back To Top    #2
    It should work if you turn off the skimmer when you are trying to run the cleaner.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I dont know what pool stores you have locally, but Ive noticed this year all of my local pool stores are now carrying the sections of pool cleaner hose. Dont remember ever seeing them there before, but this year they are. Might at least be able to save on shipping

Jason is right that it should work if you turn off the skimmer inlet.

-Chris
    22K IG vinyl, .5HP Northstar pump, S244T filter, AutoPilot Digital w/SC-48 cell

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys. I'll tinker with it some more this weekend. I'll also check swim world for the hose on the way home today. 8)
    20x40 IG Vinyl
    33k Gallons
    Triton TR-100 Sand Filter
    Pentair WFDS-6