Return flow decreasing, but PSI only increasing by 4 or so??

May 26, 2012
I started running the filter this morning, and have blueish, cloudy water, with a BUNCH of small particles in the pool. I can't see the bottom, but I can see shadows where leaves are settling. Basically when we took the cover off there was a hole in it and green, nasty water went in the pool. I've been getting leaves out all day and I believe I've made a pretty good dent in them because the brown shadow they are creating on the bottom is getting smaller. I share all this to set the stage for my question--psi on my filter is running about 15 and has not risen more than 4 all day, but the return flow decrease to about half over a 2-3 hour period. I can backwash and the return flow goes back to normal. The pool is skimming, but since the stuff in the pool is so small I not sure I can gauge how well. What are your thoughts? I confess I have backwashed to get the return flow going again, but now I am rethinking that.

Re: Return flow decreasing, but PSI only increasing by 4 or

That's normal. The filter is doing what it's supposed to do. And you're backwashing when it slows down and pressure increases 25%, which you're supposed to do. I see no problem.

Since you've been scooping out the leaves all day, may I suggest some Motrin? Or perhaps some sort of liquid painkiller? :cheers:

Re: Return flow decreasing, but PSI only increasing by 4 or

ah...25% increase...I was looking for an increase of 6-8 psi. Yea, I remember reading about 25%, but I got the other numbers stuck in my head. And I've had my liquid painkiller for the day, but I might need to move on to some Motrin as you suggested. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.