New Pool Build/Owner-Test Resuts

Jul 23, 2012
Cary, NC (Raleigh)
I have been reading everything and lurking on here for a while now and we just completed our pool build. Filled it up and started the pumps last Friday. Been running everything 24/7. I know I need to order a kit but here are the latest test results from the pool builder/store 10 minutes from the house:
TC: 2.7
FC: 2.4
pH: 7.4
TA: 51
CH: 49
CYA:43
Salt 3200ppm

The water seems decent but possibly a bit cloudy on the deep end. I can easily see the 6' bottom but at night with the light on its not crystal clear to me. The SWG is currently on super-chlorinate mode. I still have some very fine dirt in the pool I need to manually vacuum up left over from all the construction going on. Initial thoughts or actions to take? Thanks!

Raise the CYA level. pool-school/recommended_levels Don't just dump the stuff in the pool or the skimmer. Use the sock method, in case you need to backwash the filter after vacuuming. You won't lose any of the granules that way, nor damage your liner by having them sitting on the bottom.

Your SWG is working overtime to keep up with sunlight losses. And until that's taken care of, you might want to add some bleach to get the FC up to about 6.

Everyone sees floaters, especially at night with the light on. In your case, they are going to be worse because of the dirt and construction debris.

I just added granular CYA to the skimmer very slowly 1 day before those test results were taken. Could I expect the CYA to continue to climb?

Based on the pool calculator then I may add 1 jug of bleach to raise the FC. Do the pumps need to run full time when doing that and what is the best application method?

Hopefully if I can vacuum up the fine particles over the weekend the water will continue to clear up.

blbncsu said:
I just added granular CYA to the skimmer very slowly 1 day before those test results were taken. Could I expect the CYA to continue to climb?
Yes. It might take a week to register 100%. How much did you add? http://www.poolcalculator.com/ can tell you what the CYA should be, down near the bottom under Effects of Adding Chemicals. Be sure you enter your pool size at the top of the chart.
Based on the pool calculator then I may add 1 jug of bleach to raise the FC. Do the pumps need to run full time when doing that and what is the best application method?

Hopefully if I can vacuum up the fine particles over the weekend the water will continue to clear up.
Just pour it in in front of the return and leave the pump on for another half hour or so to mix it.

Now you've had a little hands-on, it might be a good time to grab a cold one and re-read Pool School. Things will make more sense after a little bit of doing it.

I added 4lbs of CYA which pool calculator says raises it to a level of 42 which is right at my test readings. Will look to add another 1-2lbs per the calculator to get it up over the weekend.

Will add a gallon of bleach this evening then.

Got some homebrew finishing up so time to pop open one and do more reading.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.