New pool owner / BBB / PH issues & bleach

PradeepK

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 19, 2012
Hi, First time pool owner and first post here. Have been reading this forum, great information! I think just getting there with all chemicals and balancing etc.

Now, last week drained the pool due to very high CYA (160, using dilution method). CYA is now in 20s, looking to go up slowly, using the di-chlor i had on hand until CYA is in the range and then completely move to liquid chlorine. I am also taking the help of local pool guy, who obviously prefers Tablets. However, I would like to stay with BBB for now.

One of the questions came up is, about pH of 12.5% liquid chlorine being 12 - 13. Over the last couple months, we had to regularly add Acid due to high pH in the pool. Are there liquid chlorine without so high pH? If not, how do you see this addressed?

Thanks,
-Prad

Though the liquid itself has a high pH, the effect of using it is essentially pH neutral on the water. When you switch from tablets to bleach you may see rising pH, but that's because tablets lower pH so the pH tends to increase when you quit using the tablets.

Often lowering the TA is the best answer to stabilizing pH.

JohnT said:
Though the liquid itself has a high pH, the effect of using it is essentially pH neutral on the water. When you switch from tablets to bleach you may see rising pH, but that's because tablets lower pH so the pH tends to increase when you quit using the tablets.

Often lowering the TA is the best answer to stabilizing pH.

Appreciate the quick response. For the TA, with about 10 lbs Baking Soda added over last couple days since refill, TA is reading 90. Others are as follows earler this evening 5/6.
FC - 4 ( FC was 10 on 5/4) ; CC - 0.5; CH - 140; CYA - 35; PH - 7.3.

What should I target for TA, CYA, FC and others? My pool is in N/W corner and I get sunlight for about 7-8 Hrs. I am using TF 100 kit for testing.

And, if I need to raise CYA some more, can I use di-chlor that I already have?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.