A double dose of sink or swim

Apr 27, 2013
Wichita, KS
Hello everyone.

My wife and I just bought a house that has a spa and pool. I have no experience with either one- I told her "what I know about spas and pools you could put in a thimble and still have room for your finger"...hence my name. I have experience with plumbing systems and am comfortable with performing measurements, interpreting results and using data to apply corrective measures- so I don't feel intimidated by either setup, just no experience. I have read a lot on this forum and have already found a wealth of information...this place is GREAT ! The learning curve is pretty steep for a newb, but what I have read here has already helped a lot.

We haven't started up the pool yet, still a little early- but it won't be more than 2-3 weeks away. The previous owner told me he would come over and show me the ropes. I hope he follows through on his offer. I drained and refilled the spa and think it is doing fairly well- at least our skin hasn't fallen off or turned a weird color. Test strips show all parameters to be within limits. Reading here, it looks like I could use a better test kit, so I think one is in my immediate future.

A little about what I have that I can relate so far (and that isn't a whole lot- we haven't even taken the cover off the pool)-
15x30 ft in ground pool- don't know if it is plaster or vinyl. I think plaster, but not sure.
sand filter
salt water system
no heater

spa-
7 foot square
350-400 gallon
ozone generator

I look forward to learning more by doing lots of reading here. As a rule, I'm not a huge participant in threads- I tend to shut up and listen rather than talk. I will post more about the pool when I find out about it.

Thanks again for the sharing of all this information- it will become a place I visit daily.

Mike

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, absolutely get yourself a good test kit. Most folks here use the TF-100 from tftestkits.net. It's top notch. Also, be sure to read Pool School.

I know it seems like a lot to digest. Since you have a bit before you open though, this will give you a chance to read up on things.

WELCOME! You are on the right track just finding this wonderful site!

Next thing is to order your test kit! It is the BEST thing you can do for your pool and wallet!

Once you get your test kit and do your first test post the results you will be able to post them here and be on the way to a clear pool!

Kim