polaris booster pump leaks!

Aug 22, 2010
Hi All:
I just opened my pool and learned that my polaris pb4 booster pump is leaking at both the supply port and return port. There appears to be some sort of rubber in there that looks like it has dry rotted? I am not sure how to correct this. Do I need to cut the pipes and re-glue everything? Are they threaded on? If so I assume I would need to cut the top of the pipe and attach a new connector. Any advice is much appreciated! Here are a few pics.

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 40
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 40
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 40
Yes, those connections are threaded. It looks like someone might have used a hardening thread seal compound on them, which will make them a little more challenging to unscrew but it should still be possible.

If everything is rigid pipe you will need to cut both pipes somewhere so you can unscrew them and then put things back together when you have everything put back together. Often there is some flex hose connected to the rigid that can be disconnected, allowing you to finish without cutting, but I don't see that in your picture.

Make sure when you replace all of that you do NOT use glue on the threaded parts...just some teflon or pipe dope or both. I would suggest adding a 3/4" union or two (Polaris PB4 pumps are 3/4" in and out). If you glue it, the male threaded adaptors will never be able to be removed without some MAJOR parts replacement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.