Pump Problems

I am new to this forum and also new to owning a pool. (it came with the house) So I got everything hooked up after I had to go and buy a new three way valve. I turned on the electric motor and nothing but a hum so I turned it off and discovered it was locked up. After trying to take it apart everything went well except the impeller will not come off. I actually did get the motor to run it is just making allot of noise. I am not against replacing a couple bearings and cleaning the motor, I really wat to stay away from buying a new motor and wet end (if the impeller don't come off). I found this pump on craigslist here locally any advice would be great. Thank you.

http://memphis.craigslist.org/for/3730466197.html

A full rated 3/4 HP pump would be fine (most AG pool pumps are uprated, though, and not full rated) and a 2-speed 3/4 HP would be even better.

Your filter is a bit small so I wouldn't consider anything much bigger than that.

For $100 I'd say go for it. It's a 1½ hp uprated pump so it's really about a 1 hp full rated. while that's a little big for your filter it'll be fine and I highly doubt that it'll exceed the 55 gpm rating of the filter.

Upon further investigating, the neighbors say that the pool was used one summer and the previous owners never used it so that means it has been sitting for 2 years with no attention, the motor for the pump looks like it sat in a puddle of water for an extended period of time. The $100 hayward was gone by the time I got ahold of the guy. So I took apart my pump, I had to use a dremel to cut the impeller off using a strap wrench broke the impeller. After cleaning the motor and trying to get the front bearing off with no luck (i did not want to damage the front of the shaft). I repacked the front and back bearing for the motor and put it back together. It works fine but sounds awful! Does the electric motor generally sound loud or is it quiet. When I went to the pool store they had the same pump system set up running their display pool and it was so quiet I could not believe it. I am debating weather to buy a new pump or just run the one I have (after I replace the impeller and seal). Based on everyones experience what is the best course of action to take here? Thank you.

it sounds like you weren't taking the impeller off correctly, but anyway. It sounds like you have to buy a new motor for sure and since you have to buy a new impeller and shaft seal, i would just go ahead and buy a new pump

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.