I Think I Have a Pump Problem...

HowardL said:
OK, I put it all together, turned on the power and let it run. Here's the dismal result of attempt #1.

1) Leak at top collar
I guess if you have a leak anywhere, it's going to be on that pressurized line going out from the pump. Other than a new gasket, any suggestions?

2) Looks like a leak or 2 near the bottom of the pump itself.
I've tightened the nuts pretty tight, at least by my standards. Last thing I want to do is break something from overtightening.
Is this simply a brute strength battle, or do I need to apply some sort of seal to this joint? There is an "O" ring inside but I'm pretty sure I got it back in the right spot.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Howard
You'll need to replace that big O-ring. All O-rings take a set with age and will never seal right once they're disturbed. Also, I've yet to encounter an O-ring that doesn't require lubrication. That top collar may just need a little wiggling and some channel locks on the nut. Unless it has an O-ring in it, too. Make sure the contact surfaces are clean.

OK...good news/bad news.

First, pool store had seal ring for the pump, o ring for the union, waterproof lubricant for the rings,and a new trap strainer (broken pieces from old one were found in impeller). Out the door for $31 including tax and was happy to pay it.

Got home and got to work on putting it together again.

Good news = top union now not leaking.

Bad news = pump continuing to leak.

I was really pretty careful as I positioned seal ring,and I was also careful as I tightened nuts in a star pattern. I can see how ring could easily dislodge and I really don't think that happened. Of course, you reach a point where you really can't see but ring probably really can't move much then either.

It's getting dark here now so I've picked up my pieces for today and am calling it quits for the evening. Now I need a plan for tomorrow.

Do I simply let it set overnight and try to further tighten in the morning? Is there anything else I can do?

Sorry if I sound a bit desperate, but I really don't know what to do next. Any and all helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Howard

Bummer.

Can you tell where the water is coming out of the pump? Is it clearly where that seal was that you replaced?

I hesitate to say try to go tighter as I do not know how tight you have it now. I would probably open it up again, make sure there is no debris around the o-ring and channel, lube it up really well (which should help it stay in place) and put it back together again.

Replace the gasket on the top union and you may have to replace the housing o-ring too. You can try lubing it good first, but since you have to take it apart anyway, I'd just replace it. You shouldn't need to tighten the housing bolts very much.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Based on those pictures, unless you have a crack in the housing somewhere, it looks like the only place you could have water leaking out would be the seal plate o-ring (which I think you replaced already), and the diffuser o-ring. These are #s 6 & 10 on the oarts diagram. Any damage to the diffuser o-ring that you can remember?

Yes, it's definitely high pressure. I will take apart, make sure surfaces are clean, and reseat the seal plate o ring. Do I only need to be concerned with the specific area where I see the leak or is that misleading?

Are there any tricks to doing this? The hardest part for me is that the ring is installed in a vertical position, and is therefore apt to slip out of position.

...and then you have to press the motor together with the pump to tighten the nuts. At some point I just lose sight of the ring as I put it back together.

Any way to keep it in place? Thanks.
Howard

I use some small dabs of silicone caulk to hold the seal gasket in place in my pump. Let it set up for 30 mins or so, and it holds where it needs to be while I bolt the motor assembly back onto the wet end.

HTH,

pj

PJ, wish I had seen your post about an hour ago. I had a tough time getting the ring in the exact right spot, but think I actually managed to do so. Like you I relied upon a little helper. In my case it was the waterproof lubricant. It was sticky enough to hold it in place...at least I hope so.

What threw me was the ring was almost a little too big, so it always wanted to pop back out. I even pulled the old one out of the trash to compare, thinking I might have gotten the wrong part...but the old one was a little big too. I guess that's so it has a little extra room to fill in those gaps when it's all closed up tight.

So, I just finished reconnecting the collars and the housing, and put it all back in place. Came inside for a drink of water and will go out and tighten one more time and then try it out. Wish me luck. Thanks.
Howard

Update: Looks a Lot Like Success To Me!

Just reconnected everything and turned on the power/water/pump. Blew a ton of air out of the pipes and also quickly collected a strainer trap full of leaves that the prior lower pressure just couldn't move along. Pressure gauge showing 12 psi, just like it used to.

No leaks! I am stoked, but exhausted. This job is way beyond anything I have ever done with the pool before, and there is no way I could ever have attempted it, let alone completed it, without all of you helpful folks here. Thanks again.

Howard

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.