Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I am very close to pulling the trigger on a new pump for my AGP, but have a question about the power cord. The outlet is about 12-13 feet from the pool, but the cord is much shorter (6 feet). If I were to move the filter, I would need to move all the way back to the outlet so it isn't in the middle of the walkway to the deck and then deal with the longer plumbing, and either run it behind the stairs or hard plumb and bury it.

Path of least resistance seems to be just get a 12 foot cord and wire it into the pump or get an extension cord and bury that. Anyone see any issues with either of these solutions? Would I be able to get an appropriate cord at a hardware store? What would you do?

If you get a 2-speed pump (which you should be getting) most of them don't come with a cord, so you could just run conduit and wire to the power location. Also, most corded pumps only have a 3' cord in order to meet code. Burying an extension cord is a very bad idea.

Bama, (and Linen)

I was all about the 2 speed pump, but my electric rates are so low (around .08 kwh and set to fall further) that I estimated it might take me 4 years (I'm in the North so short season) to make up the difference of $150 (maybe $250 if I purchase the timer I might need) so I am second guessing all of that now. I figured about $14.40 per month running a 1 speed, 1HP 6 hours a day. A 33% savings using a 2 speed saves me about $4.50/month, with a 4-5 month season my breakeven point is out there. If someone sees something wrong with my crude estimate or some of my assumptions, let me know.

As for the cord, a conduit makes good sense, but when you say hardwire, I assume you mean hardwire to the pump? My power source is an outlet so I would need a plug there, right? Or are you suggesting I hardwire to the power source and install an on/off switch at that point?

Maybe this would be obvious if I was looking at where the power cord connects to the pump, but how would I remove it for the winter to bring it in? Just unwire and rewire each season?

Lastly, is there a guidelines to the size (guage) of the cord I would need? If that is specified in the manual, just say so, I don't yet have the pump.

From my perspective on 1-speed verse 2-speed. You can the single speed 1 hp Hayward Matrix for about $200 and the 2-speed for about $235...delta of $35. The decision for me would be easy: $14.45/2 *5 months= $36 > $35

To bring it in for the winter you'll have to disconnect it.

Yes there are guidelines for the wire size. It all depends on the pump and the distance. There is a chart in most pump manuals that is a guide to go by. Post the pump model and distance when you know it and we can help you with the wire size.

Most above ground pool pumps don't come with a cord ??? I don't think that's a correct statement. I bought a hayward matrix that came with a 3ft twist lock cord. Most above ground pumps I've seen come with some type of cord.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pwrstrk said:
Most above ground pool pumps don't come with a cord ??? I don't think that's a correct statement. I bought a hayward matrix that came with a 3ft twist lock cord. Most above ground pumps I've seen come with some type of cord.
My 2-speed matrix did too. Bama has a pentair, and most 2-speed pentairs do not.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Bama, will post back when I get my pump.

Linen - yes, that was my original analysis, and in talking with Christian from PSW he pointed out this deal they currently have on these Waterway pumps, single speed 1HP for $110. Plus, I think I would need a timer for two speed, though I am not certain on that??

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Waterway ... upreme.htm

Why the need for a timer for a 2-speed, verse non for a 1 speed?

I am not very familiar with the waterway pumps. The price is right...although it makes you wonder what corners are cut. I think we have had some people in the past unhappy with Waterway pump/filter combos...

I took a look at the waterway curves and they seem unrealistically high?: http://www.waterwayplastics.com/products/pool-products/pumps/above-ground/supreme-48-frame/ For example 3/4 hp pump at 40 ft of head pushing 115 gpm???? To much flow, but I don't believe it either. If you do decide to go this way, you might want to consider dropping to the 3/4 hp.

linen said:
Why the need for a timer for a 2-speed, verse non for a 1 speed?

I am not very familiar with the waterway pumps. The price is right...although it makes you wonder what corners are cut. I think we have had some people in the past unhappy with Waterway pump/filter combos...

I took a look at the waterway curves and they seem unrealistically high?: http://www.waterwayplastics.com/products/pool-products/pumps/above-ground/supreme-48-frame/ For example 3/4 hp pump at 40 ft of head pushing 115 gpm???? To much flow, but I don't believe it either. If you do decide to go this way, you might want to consider dropping to the 3/4 hp.

Not sure about the need for a timer, read things that might have suggested I need such to use the low speed, but it remains unclear to me.

Had the same thoughts on the Waterway, but other website seem to sell them for $180-200, so believe this is a current promo that PSW is offering. I am now torn, but at $110 the downside risk is pretty minimal, worst case it dies after a couple seasons and lesson learned and I go for a higher quality.

In terms of flow, honestly, I am coming down from a 2HP pump that came with the house, so I don't expect any issues, though this is hardly my area of expertise.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.