Flex PVC or rigid PVC?

May 6, 2012
Peoria, IL
Hello all. I'm thinking about attempting to hard plumb my Intex Ultra frame pool after carefully studying many of the other Intex threads. Having absolutely no knowledge or experience with PVC, I must ask if there would be a downside to using flex PVC rather than rigid PVC. Seems to me that the flex PVC would be much easier to work with and would allow for a slight margin of error, which believe me I need given my clumsiness. I don't intend on keeping it up all year round. Everything will be stored in my garage in the winter. If I had to go with rigid, then I'd almost rather not do it for fear of not getting it perfect. I've read on other threads how to make the custom Intex adapters using the electrical conduit fittings and that seemed simple enough. Is there a reason not to use flex PVC over rigid PVC?

Rigid is better in several ways, and not really all that hard to work with, but the difference is small. Flex is fine as long as you are careful to make sure the joints get pushed in all the way when you are gluing them.

Flex is awesome stuff but when it's got water inside it's heavy and pulls downward on joins, I originally had flex but converted most of it to rigid.
Flex is tough stuff, but I'd go with rigid.

Thank you for all the advice. I'm still debating on whether or not to do it, partly because I'm also thinking about putting in a thru-the-wall skimmer at the same time, and there's no turning back if I try to do that. I guess it can't do any harm to just play around with some PVC without actually hooking it up. I suppose I have plenty of time to decide though, seeing as how there is still snow on the ground where I live.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.