Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How often do you run your pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

How often do you run your pump?

Just curious. We've had ours running 24/7 for almost a week now. Those of you that DON'T run it 24/7, can you please state whether you run it during the day or night? Thanks!
    27' ABG
    Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    Yes, both! I run my pump for three hours at night, and five hours during the day. Those will both increase a bit when the water warms up some more.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I turn mine off when I go to bed and turn it back on when I get up in the morning.
    27 ft. round AG pool with 54" walls, 18,065 gallons, 22inch Sparco sand filter with 2.0 HP 2 speed pump

4. Back To Top    #4

during the day when I'm hoping it heats up fast (like now) I only run it during the day and both when it's nice and warm. It depends much more on pool water temp for me than anything else.

When the pool water gets too warm (happens in Texas anyway) we run it at night with a polaris 'waterfall' to cool the water, helps cool it off a little.
    My pool works thanks to TFP

Please support the site! pages/supporters/

It's cheaper than your first trip to the pool store!

5. Back To Top    #5
    I run mine for 2.5 hours during the day and then 30 mins in the evening just so the water isn't sitting for 18 hours.

For you guys who run 12+ hours, what's your electricity bill per month??
    30K gal. IG Free form
    Cartridge Filter, Solar and Gas Heater
    Using BBB

6. Back To Top    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by CRG_80cc
    I run mine for 2.5 hours during the day and then 30 mins in the evening just so the water isn't sitting for 18 hours.

For you guys who run 12+ hours, what's your electricity bill per month??
    i run 24/7. last summer when we had all 4 ac units cranked at 70. fans, tvs' cooking, hot water, computers, dryer, dishwashers, fridge, lights at night was 650 a month, but thats only in the dead of summer so july through september, rest of the year is an average 400 then when we shut the pool of we go to 325.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry
    Hijack:

Vince whatever happened to your cloudy, CYA-laden pool? Did it clear up?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Hijack:
    Vince whatever happened to your cloudy, CYA-laden pool? Did it clear up?

Dave! (that's for hijacking) J/K........yea, RT, what happened? We need the 'rest of the story'. But, let's do it in your thread!

Edit: (forgot to respond to the question ) We run our pool 3 to 4 hrs in the AM and 3 to 4 hrs in the PM. But, no night time running.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

After doing energy audits, I moved our pool pump run time from 16 hours to 10 hours. We also reduced the run time also on the pressure side Legend cleaner pump to run 4 hours from 16 hours. The 16 hours run time (without any home AC units running) ran us around $300 per month. We finally turned on the AC units last night, so I am waiting to see what the bill will be next month.

I am going to test for 30 days running the pool pump from Noon until 8pm and 10pm until Midnight. The Legend cleaner will run 2 hours in the morning and the 10pm – midnight shift.
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster

10. Back To Top    #10
    8 hours a day in summer, 6 hours a day in winter. I run in two blocks.....In summer 5/3 and in winter 4/2 both midday and evening. These are the times I am most likely to use the pool.
    Mars HP pressure cleaner runs about 2 hours a day.
    Water features come on for 15 minutes a day (otherwise I might not run them for a while and the water in them could turn green!)
    Automation system takes care of it all so I don't have to worry about it.

11. Back To Top    #11
    2 hrs/day in winter and sometimes off
    4 hrs/day in spring & fall
    6-8 hrs/day in summer

My turnover is about 4 hours without solar and 5 hours with solar so I have never gone much above 2 turnovers per day.

I also have automation so it is pretty easy to set and forget.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

12. Back To Top    #12
    I run my pump 24/7. We open mid April/early May and close Oct. I have pop up cleaning heads in the pool and I like a clean pool. I only have to vacume on occasion, maybe once every 2 weeks with the cleaning system running. Been doing this for 5 years now and don't really notice a difference in the electric bill. Keep the house at 70 in summer and 72-73 in winter. Keep the pool heated anywhere from 82-86 with the heat pump.
    26,000 gal liner IG pool
    Doughboy with concrete construction
    Full sun most of the day
    1.5 hp pump system
    200lb sand filter

13. Back To Top    #13
    I usually run mine from 5am - 9am, then from 5pm - 9pm. It's on a timer, so I just make sure when I get up for work and come home from work that the skimmer basket didn't get knocked askew during the stop/start of the pump, check the skimmer basket for debris, etc.

I used to run mine 24/7 because "the pool store said to". After the first year, I thought that was kind of excessive, so started looking online for pool forums, which led me to here.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

14. Back To Top    #14

Hey Rollin Thunder, I think you told me a few weeks ago I was in the wrong part of VA cause your water was warmer than mine, but now I can turn it around cause your electric is so high one of the few advantages of living in the sticks! ha

Anyway, I was running 24/7 with Baquacil and still lost that battle to pink slime (hence my membership and incessant questioning on this forum while switching to BBB and then SWG). With that 24/7 last summer, and using my AquaCal heat pump (w/solar cover) to warm up the water at the beginning/end of season, my bill shot from around normally 200 or less to about twice that.
    This year, I've dropped to running the pump 9am-9pm, but I think I'll follow JasonLion and Waterbear's lead and try something like a 5/3 split (or maybe 7/3 or 6/4 if the kids are in the pool all day)...I have a timer for the main pump, but I'll have to fit the Legend Vac into the schedule during the ON times.
    BTW - Sabot, not sure why you'd have to run your Legend more than maybe 2 hours/day? I used to run mine 3 or 4 (or more) hours per day, but now I'm down to maybe 2 or so...just a thought, you may want to try that, since that booster pump is probably using alot of energy also.
    Todd
    --------------
    Pool: 16x36, 16,800 gal., vinyl, sand filter, SWG & AquaCal Heat Pump
    Spa: Hot Springs Sovereign, 355 gal., ozone/ion
    The most helpful tool you'll ever have for your pool:
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/

15. Back To Top    #15
    Hmmm....this has been a question for me as well. I have been running it 24/7 since it was finished at the beginning of April. My bill this past month doubled is usage from last year! But, with all the gunk in the air, especially now at least, if you're only running your pump a few hours a day...doesn't your pool get funky??? Just curious............
    10,700 gal IG vinyl
    Pentair Triton II TR50 sand filter
    Pentair Booster Pump
    Letro Platinum pressure side cleaner
    Emerson 1HP pump
    Bioguard Mineral Springs SWG
    2 skimmers

16. Back To Top    #16
    You need to be running "enough" water through the filter to keep the pool clean. If you have a reasonably large pump that almost always gets done in less than 24 hours a day. A relatively small pump attached to a relatively large pool may need to run 24 hours a day. Often two speed pumps run on low speed need to be run 24 hours a day, because low speed corresponds to a very small pump.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School