Expansion joint options.

savela

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 26, 2012
PB about to pour our deck. Any options I have for expansion joints besides pine at an interface with a side patio?? Something nice that will last like....forever???

My PB used a foam material between my existing and new deck. After the new has cured, the top 1/2 in of the foam tears away and they place a flexible sealant over the foam.

Hmm. I'll inquire about this. That is likely part of their plan at the interest with the pool but wanna ask of the method you describe is an option at the back patio. Thanks!

An inch is pretty wide. I do not know where your pics are but can't measure from them anyway. An inch it too wide for caulk, IMO. How about the side furthest away from the side pation? Is there expansion room there?

It sounds like the Stegmeier joint system. I am thinking about getting it as well as the drain system when I finish the rest of my landscaping. The joint system seemed to provide that expansion space with the ability to change the top 1/2 inch over and over as people's tastes change. Looked like you could peel out the sealant if it was damaged or if you decided to change your surface.

Deck has not been poured but they have a 1 inch wide piece of pine at the junction with the patios but are doing the foam/caulk thing around the pool. The pool builder echoed what has been posted above, the foam/caulk is not wide enough for the junction between my existing patios and the deck....said he doesn't sleep well at night unless he placed adequate expansion joints. I'm gonna let him do his thing, i'm sure it'll be fine as everyone above seems to agree. Thanks!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.