New Pool Just Completed. Should I close and not use Filter?

Sep 10, 2012
I just had an in ground vinyl lined pool installed. The PB will cut the liner around the faceplates tomorrow and the water has not been filled high enough yet to get water in the lines except for the 2 main drain lines.

My question is, should I not let any water get in the line and not even start the filter and just close the pool and start everything in the Spring when I open it? I know very little about pools. I am not sure if this is even possible. I have not added any chemicals at all as I just started filling it yesterday.

Do I need to start the filter to get the chemicals or can I just close the pool.

It is not a salt water pool. It has a cartridge filter. 17x33 grecian. I will be installing a Merlin Smartmesh cover when the pavers are completed an a couple of weeks.

Re: New Pool Just Completed. Should I close and not use Fil

I would recommend that you start the filter and balance the water chemistry. What type of weather are you expecting in the next 6 weeks?

If you already have some water in it, which it sounds like you do. I would get some bleach in there ASAP!! As algea can begin to grow within a day or two. Just brush the pool a bit to circulate it until you have enough water in there to run your pump.

JamesW said:
I would recommend that you start the filter and balance the water chemistry. What type of weather are you expecting in the next 6 weeks?
I agree but for what might be a different reason... if you don't validate things work now... The pb may be too busy to fix right away when the season starts next year.

-sent with Tapatalk 2

snuddenstang:

Another vote for getting some chlorine in there and balancing the water. To me, water balance is just as important as chlorine. They serve two equally important purposes. Chlorine provides sanitation while proper water balance (pH in particular along with TA) will extend the life of your pool surface and equipment.

Since you just had your pool built, UnderWaterVanya brings up a great point about making sure your pool equipment and plumbing is working properly now as opposed to waiting until spring. Even in NJ, you should be able to keep your pool operational through Thanksgiving even though it will obviously be too cold to swim in. If there are any issues with your pool or equipment, it will be much easier to schedule a service call between now & the end of November versus in the spring.

The pool is filled and the filter was on for 6 hours today. I have not added anything yet. Again, this is my first pool and I have no idea where to start.

Do you have a test kit, what kind?
If not, see pool school for a comparison of test kits. Our favorite and the best value is linked in my sig. They ship fast and have the best customer service around.

Did the PB add anything to your water?

If not, at least get CL (chlorine) in there, that is critical!!
Visit www.poolcalculator.com and enter your gallons at the top then at the bottom, select your pool surface and chlorine source as bleach, this is what you will use for your daily chlorine. Once you have done that, set current "now" cya to zero and target to 30ppm, then add the amount of powder it says. But not directly to the pool, instead, place it in an old sock tied to your ladder and squeeze periodically.

Set your "now" under FC at the top to = 0, and your target to 6 and add what it says for bleach, don't forget to set the bleach strength percentage that you bought to the right. 6ppm gives you room for up to a 50% loss of chlorine, while still staying slightly above minimum.

Read pool school, link in my sig, for what to buy for each of the above.
Make sure to add all chemicals in front of a return jet, where water is coming back "in to" your pool, while the pump is running. Never add to skimmer.

There's more to it than that, but starting with a fresh fill, no tabs in an auto chlorinator/floater and nothing else added yet other than what came out of the hose, this is a good place to start until you get numbers on the rest.

I didn't realize the pb left a box of chemicals and instructions. I added stabilizer, shock and chlorine pucks in the chlorinator.
My next issue is the landscaper backfilled the pool with qp for the pavers and got a lot of dust and dirt in the pool. He will have a pool guy come at the end and use his own vacuum to clean the pool.
Should I keep my filter off until the pavers are done? I don't want to ruin my new cartridges in the filter with all the dirt and dust. It is around 60 degrees now in NJ.

Since you have a cartridge filter I assume you don't have a recirc or bypass feature so you'll have to run the pump and filter enough to chlorinate the water. The good news is that at 60ºF you won't need a lot of chlorination. I'd say a couple hours a day is plenty to add the chlorine and circulate it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

snuddenstang said:
I didn't realize the pb left a box of chemicals and instructions. I added stabilizer, shock and chlorine pucks in the chlorinator.
My next issue is the landscaper backfilled the pool with qp for the pavers and got a lot of dust and dirt in the pool. He will have a pool guy come at the end and use his own vacuum to clean the pool.
Should I keep my filter off until the pavers are done? I don't want to ruin my new cartridges in the filter with all the dirt and dust. It is around 60 degrees now in NJ.

Chlorine pucks contain stabilizer, you say you also added some separately?
How much did you add?
You should only use those pucks until you get your stabilizer where you want it, we call it CYA for cyanuric acid. You want it to be between 30 & 40ppm or so, depending on where you live. But shoot for 30ppm right now till summer hits.
After that, switch to bleach or liquid CL.

That "shock" you added was completely unnecessary. We here at TFP shock our pools as a process, not using a product called "shock". Read up on this in Pool School and you'll understand it better. Links are in my sig.

Also, I don't see where you say how many gallons your pool is. I see it's dimensions, but I don't see the shallow + deep end depths, so I can't accurately calculate it's volume.

Of note, some PBs will plumb a bypass valve into your pump plumbing on the return side. This way you can vacuum to waste if need be, as in your case.
But if it's just dirt and dust, it'll wash out of the filters when it comes time to clean them.
Either way, filtering and circulating your water is an absolute must!!

If you could add this information to your signature, along with your location in your profile, that would help us out a lot.
See this link: Adding your pool info to your sig and location to your profile.

Lastly, you absolutely must purchase a good test kit. You won't find this type at a pool store. See my signature for the link and info. Basically it's the best kit you can buy for us mere mortals and from a place with the fastest shipping and best customer service around. It's a small investment, but you'll be glad you got it in the end. As it keeps you out of the pool store, along with this website and allows you to understand how your pool works and what it needs. It saves you money and pays for itself very quickly.

Thanks snuddenstang

Step one-order a good pool test kit. You cannot buy it at the store. See my siggy to check out the different good ones.

Step two-Keep running your pump with the filter in it. Clean filter as often as you can to get rid of the dust/dirt from landscaping.

Step three-I would take out the puck until you can figure out how much stabilizer in put in and how much you need to reach your ideal point. Pool School and the Pool Calulator will help you with that.

Step four-ASK QUESTIONS! We love to help!

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.