New To Pools

Sep 27, 2012
Hello all,
My fiance and I recently purchased a home here in Houston, being from the north we were certainly in the market for a home with a pool, considering the heat here! Ive been browsing the site for a few days now and its good to see I'm not the only one who doesnt know what they're doing and that they're are still good honest people out there willing to help. I have endless questions but I will start with my main concern. The pool has an Aries Vertical Grid Filter with a Hayward Super 2 pump. I have a kreepy krauler looking device plugged in and I understand that runs when the pump is running. It doesnt seem to be doing a good job. Its almost like there isnt enough pressure coming out where it is plugged in at to do a satisfactory job. I see there is three valves coming off the pump going into the pool, Im not even sure when or which ones need to be opened or closed. The pool water stays clean and clear and the filter and pump seem to work fine , something just doesnt seem right. I guess I am just looking for some basics if anyone can help!! The filter has been running around 10 psi, however I shocked and ran pump for 20 hrs or so and when I came home from work it was running at 20 PSI or so, any thoughts or advice? I know Im kind of all over the place but if there any advice anybody could offer I would really appreciate it .
Thank you so much !
I can post pictures if needed THANKS

Pictures are VERY needed. :mrgreen: Also put your pool profile in your signature so we make sure to give you the correct info.

Also go ahead and order a GOOD test kit. See my signature. It will give you and us the up to date levels we need to really help you get in charge of your pool. :whoot:

WELCOME! :party:

Kim

Pool.Virgin:

Welcome to TFP :wave: A couple of thoughts...

• 1. Check & see if there is a thimble-sized filter where the Kreepy Krauler hose plugs into the return line fitting. If so, make sure it is clean. When I first moved into our current house (and was new to pools) I experienced a similar situation with my Polaris 360 until a friend pointed this out. After cleaning this filter, it worked perfectly.

• 2. I also have a small cartridge type filter that is at the beginning of the cleaner return line near the main filter. If you have a similar filter, check and make sure it is clean as well.

• 3. If your filter pressure increased from 10 to 20 PSI after shocking, that could be because the shock treatment may have killed off an early stage algae bloom or other organic contamination of some sort and the remnants are now trapped by the filter. After the shock treatment is complete, I would clean the filters and see what the PSI reading is after that.

• 4. After performing step 3, I would expect the PSI to drop close to the 10 PSI that you started out at before the shock treatment. If the PSI does not drop much after cleaning the filters, then it is possible that your gauge may be faulty. This is a long shot given that it did record the PSI rise after the shock treatment given the expected increase in debris that is likely trapped in the filter as a result of the shock treatment. If and when it becomes time to replace the pressure gauge, I would recommend getting a glycerin-filled gauge (more accurate and durable than a non-filled gauge) with a PSI range of either 0-60 (preferred) or 0-100. A good source of gauges is Northern Tool & Equipment (http://northerntool.com)

Hi! Welcome to the forum and to Texas. I will suggest that you begin a Pool Book. In it, post all the details about your equipment, pool size and other such details. Add the phone numbers of the places that you will purchase items from -- I keep numbers for Warehouse Pool Supply, Leslie's, Texsun, Lowes, Home Depot, Sam's Club, Walmart, and one small local pool store. When I check prices on something by phone I write that down in my book. I can typically get things locally at prices better than the internet, so always check locally after you are sure what it is that you need.

I also write formulas specific to my pool size like 1x 96 oz jug 6% bleach = 3.5 ppm FC, spa = approx 700 gallons. I also note when I did things like lube the o-rings in the chlorinator or clean the filter and what clean pressure was afterwards.

Next, you really want to read and re-read Pool School. It actually made my head hurt, it was so hard to grasp how it all fit together. But persevere, for once you get how the chemistry works, suddenly it all becomes very easy. I suggest taking notes in the section, Test Kits Compared. Order a proper test kit. I recommend the TF100, sold by a beloved forum member. It is the best value for the money and shipping is faster than anything you can get locally or by letting a store order for you. You can find replacement chemicals at Warehouse Pool Supply in a pinch but they are less expensive from tftestkits.net. Wander through the Visual Encyclopedia.

As you see, there are good people here who can help you with the equipment as well as the chemistry. You will have it all under control pretty quickly and you will save a ton of money doing it yourself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.