Beth's Baqua conversion

First thing this morning the pool looks great, I can't believe this on the 2nd day :-D ! I checked and the FC level was @ 8.0 and when I checked the ph with the vile & drops system, it was good but with test strips it's way low, but at least it showed the baquacil level az "ZERO"!! I added 2 gals of bleach. Should I add something for the ph? Should I start using the chlorine tablets at this point? If not, when should I start using them. I still have a little bit of yellowish haze on the bottom of the deep end that I will vacuum to waste today & I also noticed I after backwashing, that the water coming out of the returns has small white particals in it. Other than that the water is crystal clear.

Do not use tablets at all until the conversion is complete! You absolutely don't want any CYA in the pool right now. Tablets add CYA, which might be handy later, but not right now.

You want to keep bringing the FC level up to 15 until it holds steady overnight. From your description that should be fairly soon, but it could still be several days.

ivyleager said:
beth5913 said:
First thing this morning the pool looks great, I can't believe this on the 2nd day :-D
:party:

Good for you! Keep adding the bleach and once the FC holds overnight, then you can start adding the CYA.

Good job so far, Beth. When you get to the end of the shocking, before adding CYA and balancing your water, you will need to change out your filter media......new sand. :wink:

Fc was at 12.5 this am, it's raing out,does that make any differance as far as adding bleach? should I add 2 gallons?
Looks crystal clear though!! I forgot what the pool looked like with clear water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
beth5913 said:
Fc was at 12.5 this am, it's raing out,does that make any differance as far as adding bleach? should I add 2 gallons?
Looks crystal clear though!! I forgot what the pool looked like with clear water.
No difference at all, except you'll get a bit wet.

Enjoy the crystal clear water. As a bonus, it's also hassle free compared to Baq.

CaryB

sorry to be so ignorant,but then what? what type of chemicals will I need to get to maintain a chlorine pool? with the baquacil I added the stabilizer periodically & shocked when needed & added an algicide also periodically as well as kept the ph & alc at the correct levels. What type of stabilizer do I use for chlorine pool? I already bought the 3" tablets for the in-line chlorinator. When do I start using them & how many at a time should I put in that thing?
Thanks for your help. I'm going to try to post my 1st & 2nd day pictures (unfortunately,my computer knowledge does not exceed my chlorine knowledge!)

You might start by reading the BBB for Beginners article in this issue of the newsletter.

After you have replaced the filter media you add CYA to get to between 30 and 50. Add bleach each day to maintain your FC level. And adjust PH, TA, and CH as needed (ie much less often).

[Technical Details]The Mermaid Queen - No, I meant 5.0, not 0.5. There is often a long slow decline of the CC level. It gets tedious waiting for that so I suggest speeding it up by replacing the filter media a little earlier than others suggest. Most of the CC is coming from nearly solid baq goo that is slowly breaking down. Most of that is in the filter. Replace the filter media and instantly way less baq goo to break down and lower CC levels. There is a small risk of doing that too soon and causing damage to the new filter media, but FC holding overnight seems to be a reliable enough indicator.[/Technical Details]

Beth, congratulations on your conversion! :lol:

To try to help with your chem questions:

Most of us do not use an algaecide and rarely need to shock a pool!

Maintaining your pool's balance will make those unnecessary........usually! So, forget about shocking and algaecide for now.

As Jason said, you need to:

1. Increase your CYA to between 30 & 50. If you want to use the tabs with the CYA for this, that is fine. It will add CYA, only much slower. If this is your only source of CYA, I would test it again in a month or so to see where you are.

2. Maintain your pH as ususal between 7.2 & 7.6 - ish

3. Maintain a proper FC level. You may need to manually add some liquid chlorine ( 6% bleach - unscented) to supplement the inline feeder. (I have very limited experience with the inline feeder since this is the first time we have used it. We do, however, try to keep about 6 tabs in there. Our setting is on '4', and we only run our pump/ filter about 6 hrs per day. Don't know if that is right or wrong, but it is working for us. :wink: )

4. Adjust your TA and CH to your target levels. (Use baking soda to increase your TA and use Calcium Increaser to raise CH) You can buy baking soda anywhere, & the CH increaser can be found at WallyWorld, Lowes, HD, pool store, etc.) REMEMBER to add less than your target so that you do not overshoot :p

Once you have your TA & CH within range, you only need to test those about once per month.

After you have your water balanced (all except for the CYA if you are depending on the tabs) your DAILY maintenance should be testing and adjusting your FC and pH!

Hope this helps. Great job, Beth. Feel free to post back any questions you have. Folks are here to help you :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.