Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Drop test says 3400 ppm salt
SWG "Brain," says 2400
I reset the brain and it goes back down to 2400 after a day or so.
Salt cell is about 5 months old.
Thoughts?

Could be you have scale on and in your cell plates.
Have you taken a look at the plates?
How do you test your water chemistry?
Can you post your most recent water analysis results?

I soaked salt cell in muriatic acid/ water for 30 minutes this past weekend.

This is my most recent test.. It's incredible how the days slip away and it's been 17 days since I did my last test on my pool. I use a drop test kit. I'll take a more recent one if you feel that would be helpful.
==========================================
Pool
------------------------------------------
Build Type: Vinyl
Volume: 18760 gallons
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 3.0 (17 days ago)
pH: 7.8 (17 days ago)
TA: 60 (17 days ago)
CH: 40 (17 days ago)
CYA: 70 (17 days ago)
SALT: 3400 (6 days ago)
BORATES: 15 (4 months ago)

I soaked salt cell in muriatic acid/ water for 30 minutes this past weekend.

This is my most recent test.. It's incredible how the days slip away and it's been 17 days since I did my last test on my pool. I use a drop test kit. I'll take a more recent one if you feel that would be helpful.
Pool
Build Type: Vinyl
Volume: 18760 gallons
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 3.0 (17 days ago)
pH: 7.8 (17 days ago)
TA: 60 (17 days ago)
CH: 40 (17 days ago)
CYA: 70 (17 days ago)
SALT: 3400 (6 days ago)
BORATES: 15 (4 months ago)
Was the cell scaled before you soaked it in acid?
That degrades the life of the cell and should only be done to remove scaling.

If the cell is giving you a “low salt” error have you tried adding more salt? If it’s not complaining about low salt then I don’t think it’s anything to worry about. My cell also doesn’t match the salt drop test kit.

If it was scaled, it may be because you need to test more frequently and control the CSI better. At least every few days unless your pH is amazingly stable.

Last edited:
Was the cell scaled before you soaked it in acid?
That degrades the life of the cell and should only be done to remove scaling.

If the cell is giving you a “low salt” error have you tried adding more salt? If it’s not complaining about low salt then I don’t think it’s anything to worry about. My cell also doesn’t match the salt drop test kit.

If it was scaled, it may be because you need to test more frequently and control the CSI better. At least every few days unless your pH is amazingly stable.
It's giving me a low salt error.
I didn't notice any scaling but since I was getting low salt and check cell I just assumed that's what I needed to do....

Is the SWG producing chlorine as you need and expect? I personally wouldn't care what the device says the salt is as long as its working to make my FC. I only trust the salt drop test (K-1766).
If the device is happy (& churning out chlorine) than I'm happy too.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Drop test says 3400 ppm salt
SWG "Brain," says 2400
I reset the brain and it goes back down to 2400 after a day or so.
Salt cell is about 5 months old.
Thoughts?
The diagnostic readings might give us some clues to help you better. Push the diagnostic button sequentially and post the readings here.
Make sure the AC power to the swcg is off when the pump is not running.
What is the warranty look like on the cell?

Report all readings when you..

Move the switch from auto to off and check all of the readings.
34p
AL-0
r1.59
t-15

Move the switch back to auto and recheck the readings.

34p
AL-0
R1.59
T15

Move the switch to off for a minute and then back to auto and recheck the readings.
34p
Al-0
R1.59
T15

What are the first seven characters of the cell and box serial numbers?
Box 5a0308-1015485
Cell 16574040521r

What is the actual salinity and how are you measuring it?
3400 - Taylor Drop

The diagnostic readings might give us some clues to help you better. Push the diagnostic button sequentially and post the readings here.
Make sure the AC power to the swcg is off when the pump is not running.
What is the warranty look like on the cell?
Done. I think it's a one year warranty. Was not sure if the cell was out or something else is wrong.

Done. Is it always the salt cell when it reads low?
Yes, if the actual salt level is correct.
Done. I think it's a one year warranty. Was not sure if the cell was out or something else is wrong.
If the salt level is correct, replace the cell. For the Aquarite, the so-called cell calibration does nothing at all but replace the Average reading on the display with the current Instant salinity reading.
You can squeeze more life out of your cell and get through the low salt and check cell error by switching the cell type to T-9. But since the cell is depleted, its conductivity decreases and chlorine production is reduced.

Reactions: Jschway
Why did you soak the cell in acid, did it any calcium build up in it? I would be very surprised if it did with the CSI so low. I would almost be willing to say that was the cause of the cell failing so quickly is that it is in too acidic of water. I would like to hear what JamesW would have to say about that as he is the Guru.

Why did you soak the cell in acid, did it any calcium build up in it? I would be very surprised if it did with the CSI so low. I would almost be willing to say that was the cause of the cell failing so quickly is that it is in too acidic of water. I would like to hear what JamesW would have to say about that as he is the Guru.
I just assume that's what you did when it was done. Clearly I'm not educated enough yet. I also discovered what CSI was through this whole process.

I'm attempting to raise the CSI level.
My cell was still under warranty so they are sending me a new one.

Thank you everyone for your assistance!

Have you tested your source water for TA, CA?
Yes the CSI is a great diagnostic tool.
Go easy on raising your CSI and make smaller additions and test to verify. A moderately negative CSI may not impact your system and also keep your cell from scaling.
Add your pool surface in your signature and a heater if you have one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.