5 month old pool. I don’t think it should look like this...

kpett

Jun 11, 2019
Tulsa
Thanks for reading...
We are first time time pool owners. Live in Tulsa Oklahoma. We did not choose the pool builder, went with a home builder that would let us add pool into the contract. Gunite Pool was built November/December, completed in January 2019. We had noticed small pieces of concrete in the skimmer, filter area, etc from the beginning. We thought (and pool builder agreed) it was mortar from the stone wall. It was however concrete from the underside of the coping that hangs over pool. It is now cracking and pieces coming off on over 50% of the edge. We’ve notified the home builder but I was looking for anyone who has experienced this because I don’t think we are getting the truth from the pool builder.

Attachments

• 71E5ABF7-82C4-43C5-8850-E552984E05AD.jpeg
    71E5ABF7-82C4-43C5-8850-E552984E05AD.jpeg
    566 KB · Views: 213
  • 7E130769-F3D9-4BAB-922E-77B9FA6F851A.jpeg
    7E130769-F3D9-4BAB-922E-77B9FA6F851A.jpeg
    434.8 KB · Views: 213
  • C063BB3F-EA39-480E-A07B-88D9D48E5A06.jpeg
    C063BB3F-EA39-480E-A07B-88D9D48E5A06.jpeg
    605.9 KB · Views: 212
  • 787B4D3A-EB18-4BA8-ACBC-6CF7407A6F23.jpeg
    787B4D3A-EB18-4BA8-ACBC-6CF7407A6F23.jpeg
    596.7 KB · Views: 206
  • 132071D0-6396-4B9A-BC3E-C328A75200E1.jpeg
    132071D0-6396-4B9A-BC3E-C328A75200E1.jpeg
    602.7 KB · Views: 209
  • 2C3FFF88-2E59-4006-AA0A-8F05664298E9.jpeg
    2C3FFF88-2E59-4006-AA0A-8F05664298E9.jpeg
    588 KB · Views: 205
  • B6F92B66-61D5-4066-B75A-18672605F31E.jpeg
    B6F92B66-61D5-4066-B75A-18672605F31E.jpeg
    484.4 KB · Views: 198
I'm no expert, but do I have the same style cantilever coping. My pool has a gap between the bottom of the concrete deck and top of the tile line that is filled with flexible silicone. Your concrete appears to be finished down to the tile line with no gap. I'm guessing the concrete is expanding and contracting causing the thin concrete at this joint to fail. I'm hoping this will be an easy fix with a bit of chipping and sealing.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
These two areas are supposed to be separate. The deck and pool need to move independently of each other or you get what is probably what... you got!
Rancho Cost-a-Lotta's pool is set up to allow this by having the flex silicone filler layer between pool and decking.

I'm not sure of what needs to be done, if you even need to fix it at this point? Is it strictly cosmetic or will it become structural over time??? I dunno?? @jimmythegreek

Maddie :flower:

Last edited:
That pool builder is in the wrong business, must have been the lowest quote...

Folks that want to build pools along with their home building are often at the mercy of the Home builder as they're tying it in to the mortgage I imaigine. The builder calls the shots.

Best bet for choice is to wait if you have to and keep the pool loan separate if possible. Then you get to pick the builder.

Maddie :flower:

Many new homes built come with a one year guarantee on items built. If the pool isn't built correctly make them fix it.
Yes, the issue is the pool builder that built it does not even know (or he’s not telling us) why this happened, however we went and looked at 2 other pools he build and they do have a plastic strip between tile and coping. We think ours was left off. Put a call into builder and he assured us it would get fixed. Just wanted other opinions on this.

Yes, the issue is the pool builder that built it does not even know (or he’s not telling us) why this happened, however we went and looked at 2 other pools he build and they do have a plastic strip between tile and coping. We think ours was left off. Put a call into builder and he assured us it would get fixed. Just wanted other opinions on this.

The plastic strip is called a cove strip, and usually comes with the cantilever concrete forms and is installed prior to pouring the concrete. Looks like they re-used some forms and failed to order/install the cove strips that are supposed to go along with it. As others have mentioned, without the cove strip you really need a small gap between the cantilever decking and the top of the tile filled with a flexible sealant. Beyond the cracking issues you're seeing, the lack of the cove strip or flexible sealant could mean tiles cracking or popping off if (when) the deck moves, and water infiltration behind the tiles.

It also looks like they added a lot of water to the surface at the end of forming to make that broom finish, which caused the top layer of the concrete to be very weak. This is part of what's causing those thin pieces to flake off so easily.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
The plastic strip is called a cove strip, and usually comes with the cantilever concrete forms and is installed prior to pouring the concrete. Looks like they re-used some forms and failed to order/install the cove strips that are supposed to go along with it. As others have mentioned, without the cove strip you really need a small gap between the cantilever decking and the top of the tile filled with a flexible sealant. Beyond the cracking issues you're seeing, the lack of the cove strip or flexible sealant could mean tiles cracking or popping off if (when) the deck moves, and water infiltration behind the tiles.

It also looks like they added a lot of water to the surface at the end of forming to make that broom finish, which caused the top layer of the concrete to be very weak. This is part of what's causing those thin pieces to flake off so easily.
Thanks

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The concrete was overly worked and re wet bringing too much cream up. Those pock marks are trapped air bubbles and there is no way to fix this long term. Pieces will continue to blister off and that is poor quality work the forms may have been reused but they usually cant be unless they are sprayed with release agent most guys break them. It's a fine art doing cantilever, you gotta know your mix and when its setup enough to remove form but still be able to work an edge. A palm sander is great to run along front and vibrate the cream nicely leaving almost no shaping after. As said theres no expansion gap at bottom. An ideal repair would be to cut the deck however far back and redo it all or cut enough back to install precast coping of your choice of style. Anything else is temporary I would never accept that quality the guys would be ripping it out the next day

Reactions: mikes112
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.