4th year performing a SLAM - not getting desired results

Hello my pool friends!

I still consider myself a rookie when it comes to taking care of my above ground pool but I've never had any difficulty with pool SLAMs before. This year I'm 8 days into it and the water is stubbornly staying a cloudy blue. The only thing I did differently this year was using Natural Chemistry Instant Conditioner VS. granular. Here are my pool chemistry levels:

Water temperature: 20C/68
pH: 7.5
TA: 90
CH: 120
CYA: 50
FC during SLAM: 20 PPM

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I'm scrubbing and vacuuming as well.

When was the last time you deep cleaned your sand filter? Sand channeling and clumping will lead to overall poor filtration performance.

Outside your sand filter, AGP usually take a little longer given that the skimmer and returns are in the same location. Another idea or thought would be to look at using a DE alternative along with your sand filter. Fiber Clear is what I use and even though my water was always crystal clear, last year I used the Fiber Clear for the first time and "WOW", what a difference. This will actually help the SLAM move a little faster.

Please watch your pressure that it can rise pretty quickly, but considering you are at the end of the SLAM, you should be fine. If you find that the SLAM is not complete after 2 full weeks with the AGP, then a deep sand cleaning is probably necessary.

The Natural Chemistry CYA is fine as it is what I use. The prices have come down so much over the last few years with free shipping that the convenience outweighs the price.

Note that the sand might need replaced entirely. Over the years it "rounds off" like stones on a beach. It might not be rough enough to filter properly.

Good time to inspect the laterals in the filter and make sure they're not cracked.

Note that the sand might need replaced entirely.
Sand does not wear out. It can be compromised by pool store potions, but it never needs to be changed if not clumped up by floc, clarifiers, etc. It may need a deep cleaning, however. We do recommend that once per year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.