Bronze Supporter
Jul 31, 2022
Sussex, WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Long story for a short question. My 15 year old dolphin pool cleaner needs a new motor. So I've been weighing whether to replace the motor or replace the whole unit. As you are all probably aware, when you look something up online, you see advertising for it constantly. I was scrolling through Facebook yesterday and saw an ad for a cordless pool cleaner. Since I'm considering buying one, I clicked on it. When I saw the price, my first thought was SCAM ALERT!! My second thought was to prove that. I asked questions through the comment section. I looked for scam alerts for the company. I read reviews. I can't find anything to prove it's a scam. My third thought is to see if anyone else has checked into it? My final thought is, for $49, it might be worth a try. I'm curious about your thoughts.

If it sounds to good to be true it usually is. FB pop-up ads frequently are scams. Find independent reviews or skip it.

Then the ad reached its intended target. :(

To save you further heartache, there are no hot singles in your area either. Not at the website claiming to know them all, at least.

Dang, I wondered why all those hotties wanted a 66 year old fat guy LOL.

To answer the brand question, It's an Aiper cordless robotic. The website is Motocrossbikes.store.

Dang, I wondered why all those hotties wanted a 66 year old fat guy LOL.

To answer the brand question, It's an Aiper cordless robotic. The website is Motocrossbikes.store.
LOL.

As for the website, it did not fare well in my google search and is likely a scam.

Long story for a short question. My 15 year old dolphin pool cleaner needs a new motor. So I've been weighing whether to replace the motor or replace the whole unit. As you are all probably aware, when you look something up online, you see advertising for it constantly. I was scrolling through Facebook yesterday and saw an ad for a cordless pool cleaner. Since I'm considering buying one, I clicked on it. When I saw the price, my first thought was SCAM ALERT!! My second thought was to prove that. I asked questions through the comment section. I looked for scam alerts for the company. I read reviews. I can't find anything to prove it's a scam. My third thought is to see if anyone else has checked into it? My final thought is, for $49, it might be worth a try. I'm curious about your thoughts.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it is a duck !! Facebook is always posting various super low price scam ads ! !

I agree with you folks on the scam issue. I was not surprised, since I thought the same thing when I saw it. I was curious as to whether anyone else saw it. I also apologize to those of you who are now probably looking at pop up ads now after you looked into it.
I decided to buy the motor and repair my current cleaner. If I get another 15 years out of it, that will be a bargain.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FYI: The Facebook app is considered to be one of the most obtrusive apps available. It reads literally everything it possibly can on your phone and sends it back to FB. I have all cookies blocked for my desktop for FB and it seems to STILL be able to read other cookies. I simply stay off FB as much as possible. I removed it from my phone LONG ago.

I agree with you folks on the scam issue. I was not surprised, since I thought the same thing when I saw it. I was curious as to whether anyone else saw it. I also apologize to those of you who are now probably looking at pop up ads now after you looked into it.
I decided to buy the motor and repair my current cleaner. If I get another 15 years out of it, that will be a bargain.
So you don't hear much about these kinds of sites but they are out there and even Google can't filter them. Always lots of item usually very varied, all normally high priced and all priced to sell at about 50 to 80 dollars. Normally have weird names. When you poke around their web site, it's a lot of generic info about Who we are, Contact, Items, Generic reviews. etc. They even appear as hits under Google Shopping searches. There are THOUSANDS of these out there and to the slightly less 'internet prudent' person (say 5 or less out of 10), they easily feel 'right' enough to nab more than a few sales.

Sadly, you don't hear about these sites much which plays even more to their favorite. Most folks are more sensitive to Facebook scams, the guy from Nigeria, etc...

If you get tripped up by one of these, just call your credit card company and stop payment.

I ordered the $49 pool cleaner through motocrossbIke's.store. I have an order number but I haven't heard from the company. How do I figure out if it's a scam, and if it is how do over my money back?

Initiate a chargeback through your credit card for failure to receive your order.

For the record, I no longer use Facebook (as of 6 years ago). Or TikTok. Or Instagram. Or really any social media. Happiest I have ever been. But that's another topic for another day. My main career is as a vCIO for small to medium businesses with a degree in Telecommunications Management / network engineering and security. I get either questions OR this exact scenario almost daily from clients. Every time it's the same thing. Ads from Facebook. Heck, even my wife will see a deal and think "this is a great deal! And what do you know! It's literally what I was JUST talking to my mom about on the phone." and send me a pic of it. I'll ask her to share the link to me instead of just a pic. Then I just SMH.

Moral of story, and something I tell EVERY client EVERY single time: Was it an ad on a social media site? If the answer is yes: it's a scam / not legit. Was it an ad on any other site? Probably a scam / not legit. Did you intentionally search for said product and come across a known website and it has an ad for another site? Still a scam.

Last edited:
I ordered the $49 pool cleaner through motocrossbIke's.store. I have an order number but I haven't heard from the company. How do I figure out if it's a scam, and if it is how do over my money back?
Most credit card companies will refund your money if you can prove that you didn't receive the merchandise and attempted to contact the seller about it.
I looked up the website again and guess what, it's gone.

Most credit card companies will refund your money if you can prove that you didn't receive the merchandise and attempted to contact the seller about it.
I looked up the website again and guess what, it's gone.
You don't have to prove anything they will refund just if you say you never got it.

I saw the same ad and had the same curiosity. I am going to replace my current vac soon anyway and decided to chance this knowing that if it was a scam my cc company would refund. I have a legitimate tracking number and it is in transit. I will update as things progress.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.