how are my levels?

Anyone got some advice?

I'm still not 100% sure about my CYA level. It could be as much as 65 or 70....the CYA test is so subjective....the first few times I did it, I think I was trying to make the black dot COMPLETELY disappear, but based on the pictures I've seen, it looks more like you should take the reading when the dot is MOSTLY obscured.

I've added more bleach to bring me to FC 26.5. I'm going to retest at 5 PM.

The fact that I lost 7 ppm in 5 hours would make me assume I still need to continue the shocking process.

Regarding the overnight test, how many hours is the minimum you should use in between test readings? 6 hours? Test at midnight, and then again at 6 am?

OCLT is the longer the better between tests.

CYA test the dot should be gone. Do your best and user that shock level, there is not a huge difference.

Don't raise the FC over mustard shock level before the weekend. That is the best you can do is no one can add FC for you. Tablets can be used but your CYA is already up there for the shock process.

What does the water look like? Seems like you previously passed the OCLT and your CC are in range.

It is not unsurprising to lose up to 50% of your FC to the sun during the day ... the ppm is a lot higher when you start at high FC levels.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I'm not going to add any bleach this morning....

when I get home from work around 4:30, I'll test FC again.

The water is totally clear, and I see no sign of algae, as it has been the entire month I've been here.

It's very frustrating to have clear water but to know that there is something contaminating it, based on a FC loss of 11 in 8 hours overnight....

FC is now at 23.5

CC is .5

Lost 13 ppm in 10 hours....

The water is still crystal clear.

I'm at a loss as to why my pool is consuming so much chlorine....

could it be because the previous owner was solely using chlorine pucks, without any knowledge of CYA or what FC level he was at?

GuinnessPhish said:
Last night I added bleach to try to get to FC 37.

When I tested after about an hour and 15 minutes, my FC was 47 at 10:15 pm.

This morning, my I have FC - 36 at 6:15 am.....lost 11 FC in 8 hours overnight.

?????????????????

Could you have been misreading it at 10:15pm? Lost count maybe?

GuinnessPhish said:
FC is now at 23.5

CC is .5

Lost 13 ppm in 10 hours....

The water is still crystal clear.

I'm at a loss as to why my pool is consuming so much chlorine....

could it be because the previous owner was solely using chlorine pucks, without any knowledge of CYA or what FC level he was at?

Daytime loss is going to be high - the higher the FC the larger the loss to some degree.
Pucks just added CYA - if CYA is as low as you say (60 for example) then they either had some water change over or might have used some CalHypo more than you think.

Have you been brushing the pool including all the nooks and crannies?

If you have underwater lights, I suggest that you remove the light from the niche and inspect/clean and allow the shock level water to get in there.

If you have any water features, they should be running during at least part of the shock process.

Just trying to help cover all the bases.

I have been brushing the pool....twice yesterday.

Vacuumed as well....

Just went to the pool store just to see what their computerized water analysis had my levels at.....

they told me my CYA was 25, but based on my test kit, there's no way...

they also told me my FC was like 6.5, when it's 23.5....

ridiculous.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.