My Battle with the Green Abyss

It's 30ft in diameter, 6 ft depth in the middle and 5 ft around the outside edge. 29157 is actually the exact number I get when using a pool volume calculator. I do wish it was smaller though right now, all this bleach is killing my spending money.... lol. Came in today to the usual low FC level, checked it with my OTO test and that showed low as well as the junk strips, so I put in another 4 gallons. Water quality is looking the same as yesterday. Can't wait for the TF-100 to get here so I'll know what's really going on.

I know of no agps that are 5 ft deep at the edge. What is the actual water depth not wall height?

I remeasured my pool and outside depth was actually only 43". Actual diameter was 377". I came out with a new volume calculation of 28,200 gallons.

I've also received my test kit today. I did the CYA test and the black dot at the bottom of the tube never disappeared. So, my CYA level is 0, correct? My big question right now, is should I go ahead and add stabilizer now?

I'm back at it again. Filled out my sig with my pool specs. I regretably had to stop on my first attempt, so I'm back to a green swamp. I added CYA @ 96oz last week because I had none that I could detect. I'm brushing after every bleach addition. I will not stop until it is gone this time.......

Water at start:
pH: 7.2
TA: 60
FC: 0
CYA: 20

4:00pm: 585 oz bleach added

4:30pm: FC - 8, CC - 1.5

4:47pm: 117oz bleach added

5:12pm: FC - 6.5, CC - 1.5

5:35pm: 205oz bleach added

6:05pm: FC - 10, CC - 1.5

6:35pm: FC - 8, CC - 1.5

6:44pm - 117oz bleach added

Do I need to keep testing CC every time or am I just wasting reagent?

I don't think you need to test for CC all the time, the important number you are looking for right now is the FC to make sure it is at shock level at all times.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking as well. I tested one more time just for kicks and it went up a point vs my first few measurements.

Water is a lighter shade of green now.

8:13pm: FC - 7.5, CC - 2.5

Going back out now to add 146 oz bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi again, :)
I would maybe add just a little more chlorine at dosing time and shoot for 12-13 ppm, you don't want to let the chlorine level EVER fall below your shock value. (will give you a little safety margin if your CYA is slightly higher than 20)

Chuck

I got up this morning to cloudy blue water.... it's already looking better than my last attempt. I can see the third step a little bit. Definitely a dramatic change in the water overnight.

I've been checking FC as often as I can throughout the day and raising to 10. I am now adjusting my shock level to 12 as per supertune's advice. That does make sense to me as about half the time's I've checked FC I was below my previouse target of 10. I will now add chlorine if my level is 10 or less.

I got another stick thrown in the spokes today...... my pressure gauge on my filter has quit working. ):

Water quality has improved slightly today. I can see the third step a little bit more clearly. I'm still on it hard. I'll try and get some pics tommorow. Last test before bed yielded FC 12.5, CC 2.0. Definitely still a lot of organics being broken down.

Well, it's been a while since I've updated, but I'm still doing the shock process. It's still not completely clear, but it's starting to get a lot better. Here are some pics:

Beginning

Photo0318.jpg

Photo0319.jpg

About a week ago

Photo0320.jpg

Photo0321.jpg

It's actually a bit more clear now, I'll try and get some current pics tomorrow. I said in my first post that there are three steps, but there are actually four. I can see the fourth one a bit now :cool:

photo326edit.jpg

That pic is from earlier today. It's still cloudy but improving slowly.

I jusy did a test and came up with: FC:11, CC: 0.5. I'm finally meeting one of the criteria. I'm going to try and get up before sunup in the morning so I can check FC. My first OCLT....... so exciting. lol.

Well, I just tested FC and came up with 11 again. So my OCLT have me a loss of 0 ppm over a 9.5 hour period. The water is still cloudy though..... why oh why. I guess it's time to start messing with my filtration system.

Is your filter pressure rising? Check the sand for clumping and channeling. If fine, try adding some DE maybe to help clear the water.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Is your filter pressure rising? Check the sand for clumping and channeling. If fine, try adding some DE maybe to help clear the water.

My filter pressure is rising but it is extremely slow. My clean pressure is 15 psi (which seems higher than what other have posted) and it gets to about 16 after a couple of days and 17 or so after a couple more days. My backwash cycle does seem short kind of short too, the water is clear after 30 secs or so. I plan on checking my sand out this weekend for sure.

At what point (pressure) are you backwashing at?

Our recommendation is to wait for the pressure to go up 25%...so backflush at 20 psi in your case. A sand filter gets better at filtering as it catches more stuff (indicated by rising pressure) up to a point.

Is your gauge reading 0 when the pump is off?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.