Air in the pump?

pammo

Jun 23, 2012
After a month of use, we decided to vacuum the pool. It's been installed for 4 wks and is used about 1 hr day by 2 adults (no kiIds). I use the hand held skimmer every few days if there are 'critters' floating around; other than that, the pool has been crystal clear since day 1. Being new, we thought we should try the vacuum. In our stupidity, we didn't fill the hose with water before hooking it to the skimmer and turning on the pump. No suction at all. When we turn on the pump, there is no water coming into the polol from the pool inlet nozzle. The pressure gauge measures 0. The leaf trap cover is on securely - so secure in fact that I can't open it. With the pump, I unscrewed the sediment release valve - didn't see any sediment - only clear water coming out. I unscrewed the drain valve cap on the sand filter - again just clear water. The plungers are in the "up" position (to prevent water from flowing out of the pool). I turned on the pump again. The leaf basket (still can't get the top off) refills to maybe 1/3 of the way full, but there is still no suction. I've read the manual about 20 times, reviewed "pool school" several times, searched the internet on how to get the air out, and I'm stuck. I admit I ignorant about these things. The manual/internet claims this model of sand pump has an air release valve - I surely don't see it. I am so disgusted - the pool was fine before we tried the vacuum. Whatever recommendations/solutions (be gentle please with as much detail as possible - we are novices). We are an older couple (58 and 60 yrs old) - it took us 2 weeks to grade the lawn (the pool is 99.99% level), 2 days to "snap" together this "easy" pool and another day or so to fill it. First swim day was 1 month ago and we have loved it with absolutely no problems, until now. Please help!

Pam - so new to pools it hurts!
Southern Virginia
Intex 54955EG 18x52, holds approx 6800 gal
Above ground pool (ultra steel model) w/vinyl liner
Krystal clear sand filter pump 1600, model SF15110
installed 1 month ago (pool is 99.999% level)
pool gets maybe 1 hour per day usage (2 adults-no kids)
test results (below is the norm as to what it's been since it was installed 1 month ago):
FCI 3ppr 6(Br)
CI 3ppm
alk 40ppm
pH 7.2
CH - not tested
CYA - not tested
Use a floating chlorine tab dispenser
Use shock as needed
Pool has been clear since day 1 and water test results read "ok" (LaMotte brand and Poolmaster brand strips)

Welcome , Pam

I am not sure I read it correctly, you have the valves from the pool and to the pool CLOSED? This would prevent the pool's water from getting to the pump and out of the filter. Can you make sure the water can flow from the pool to the pump and back.

I just wanted to be sure everything is OK.

Thank you techguy. Yes, the plungers are in the "up" position (the manual states this opens this valves to allow water to flow into the sand filter pump). I didn't explain it very well earlier - sorry. The hose that connects from the water outlet connection on the pump to the pool inlet nozzle appears to be full of water; the hose that connects from the skimmer to the water inlet on the pump appears to be full of water. When I turn on the power, the pre-filter housing fills about 1/2 full - I'm still unable to remove the screw on top of the prefilter unit. I loosened the o ring on the water outlet valve on the pump and a surge of "air" along with a small amount of water came out. I reconnected it and then tried to loosen the water inlet o ring. That one won't budge.

Thanks Richard - yes, the garden hose will reach to the inlet in the pool - I'll try that in the a.m. I'm thinking it's excess air in the hose/pump/somewhere that's causing this problem. And Techguy, I'll change the plungers to the down position tomorrow and see if that's makes a difference. Thanks again for the suggestions - I do appreciate it.

I just read something in another posting that might help. Pick up you pump, turn it over so the inlet and and outlet are swapped and see if there is and air trapped in the pump body. I assumed the pump would purge it when you opened h cap.

Give it a try..it's free and easy.

Thanks to everyone! My husband got home from his business trip this morning and we tried a little of all the above and presto! The pump is pumping, the suction is ever better than before, and the pool is fcrystal clear, and all the little bugs floating around are now gone. The few pieces of leaves at the bottom are now gone. The test strips show an "ideal" level for the chlorine, ph, etc. It seems to us the suction is twice as strong as it has been in the past few weeks. Needless to say, we won't be 'testing' the vacuum feature again any time soon. Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.