New Hayward S180T - Too much for Intex 18'x52" AGP

Just getting going with some equipment upgrades, and didn't want to get an undersized setup in hopes of putting up a bigger pool next year, 24x54. Right now this filter will be on an Intex Ultra Frame 18'x52". Does anybody know if the over the wall skimmer will provide enough water to the pump? I don't really want to hack a hole in the side for a skimmer since the pool is perfectly fine for someone to put up next year.

Welcome to tfp, fraxturepoint :wave:

The S180T at 1.74 sq. ft is not too big for the your current pool which is about 7300 gallons...we would recommend a minimum of 1.4 sq. ft sand filter for that pool. However the 24X54 pool is 13500 gallons, and for that pool we would recommend a minimum of 2.5 sq. ft sand filter.

Generally, you can't go too big on the filter (as long as your pump has enough flow rate to backwash it)...so I would go bigger than the S180T if you are fairly certain you will upgrade.

If you made the assumption the the skimmer and return fittings would go with the pool next year, you cannot really go wrong with "too much" filter. It simply means it will move more water and the filter will last longer between cleanings. I would assume you would be fine with a small skimmer on the Intex but a wide mouth on the steel wall. Return fittings are inexpensive.

In comparison to the Intex, my main concern is pulling a vortex in the little bucket and sucking air down. The Intex actually starts to create a small vortex, but it doesn't pull air down. Ideally, I'll try to sell the pump, and give the pool away next year as I would prefer to go a little more all out with a SWG system and big filter. Just wasn't cost effective this year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.