Hayward S180 T

May 1, 2012
Mid-Missouri
What is a spider gasket and what does it do?

How do you tell if one of your laterals is broken?

What else can go wrong with this type of filter and what are the signs?

If you run your pump and you pool has tons of algae (hadn't heard of running it on waste till I started reading here), how can one be sure that the algae doesn't grow in the filter?

A spider gasket is inside a multi-port valve. It prevents the main valve wheel from leaking water between the various ports.

When a lateral is damaged, sand will get into the pool, usually fairly slowly.

Sand filters are fairly reliable. The only even remotely frequent failures are cracked laterals and channeling (ways for debris to get through the filter, even through it shouldn't).

Algae requires sunlight to grow. The filter is dark inside, so no algae can survive for long inside the filter.

Thanks Jason.

Okay I understand what the spider gasket is now. Wasn't for sure before hand and was only guessing (which was wrong).

We are getting some quantities of sand in the pool but unsure if the grandkids are dragging it in as we have some sand near the steps and they sometimes play in prior to getting into the pool. I plan on changing the sand after this season as I don't like the coarser sand that Sutherlands handles (bag said it is pool filter sand, but it isn't nearly as fine as the sand from the pool store).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.