Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pump issue after 1 year of use

1. Back To Top    #1

pump issue after 1 year of use

We have a year old inground pool that has a Whisper Flo 1 1/2 Hp pump. Last summer I called the pool builder and told him the pump was making a lot more noise than normal. He told me to backwash it more often as that was probably the cause. Well, yesterday they were here to open and low and behold the pump is froze up. They told me it was probably the bearings and would need to be replaced. I called the contractor and he is going to replace the pump.

My question is: Why would a brand new pump fail so quickly? Is it a manufacture defect or is it something that we may have caused? I don't want to run into the same problem in another year when the pool is out of warranty?

Any help out there is appreciated.
    40X16X24 L-Shaped Inground Pool
    Vinyl Lined
    Sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    First, welcome to the forum.

When I first put my pool it, one of my pumps had a thermal issue so pumps can fail when fairly new but I don't think it happens that often.

Whisperflo is a very good pump and I wouldn't worry about replacing it with another. However, you have have a good opportunity to re-evaluate your needs.

Do you really need 1 1/2 HP or could you do with less?

What about a 2 speed or variable speed pump?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

The 1 1/2 Hp is what the builder recommended. It is a 40,000 + gallon pool and he said it needed the bigger pump.
    40X16X24 L-Shaped Inground Pool
    Vinyl Lined
    Sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Yikes! This thread makes me wonder then why our pool has a 2HP pump. My pool is only 10K gallons. I never thought about that. Bet I would save $$$ if I had a smaller pump.

Craig
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

5. Back To Top    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    Yikes! This thread makes me wonder then why our pool has a 2HP pump. My pool is only 10K gallons. I never thought about that. Bet I would save $$$ if I had a smaller pump.

Craig
    Your waterfall may require some additional flow, but I bet you could save some money with a two-speed pump.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6
    PB nearly always recommend a pump that is way too big for the pool. I would consider a much smaller pump or better yet a variable speed/flow pump.

Depending on your plumbing setup, a 3/4 HP pump could easily supply 60 GPM. That is an 11 hour turnover which would allow for at least 2 turnovers per day. If you want 3 per day, then you need closer to 80 GPM which a 1 HP could do. But most pools don't really need three turnovers a day. I generally never go above 2/day.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Not trying to hijack the thread or anything and John, please put this under it's own topic if you feel like you need to.

John:

You may be right that the waterfall is the delineating factor here. Let me ask this, say my motor went bad and needed replacing. Would I be able to put a 1 or 1.5 HP motor in the same pump or does changing the motor size necessitate an entirely new pump?

Mas:

How do the 2-speed pumps work? Do they change speeds automatically based on demand or must the operator manually change speeds to accommodate their own perceived requirements for flow.

Craig
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

8. Back To Top    #8
    You may be right that the waterfall is the delineating factor here. Let me ask this, say my motor went bad and needed replacing. Would I be able to put a 1 or 1.5 HP motor in the same pump or does changing the motor size necessitate an entirely new pump?
    In some cases you can put a new impeller in the pump when you go to a smaller motor. If you put a smaller motor on an impeller that is too big, the smaller motor will pump just as much water as the 2HP (up to a point), but since it isn't designed to run with that kind of current, it will be subject to premature failure.

Two-speed pumps are switched manually or under the control of a timer, which may be integral to the pump. You choose when it runs on which speed.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

9. Back To Top    #9

pump size

hello Shelton236 i was just reading this this thread and i think it went slighty ascrue for your 40,000 gallon pool i would say you defenitely need a 1.5 HP pump thats my take on the situation cheers
    Hello all from the land of smiles. Thailand. 5mx9mx1.5 63000L 16300 gall, pebbletex,
    pentair 1hp whisperflow, tagelus TA60 SF, swg monarch esc24 {a bit small for the tropics} 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2 astral 100watt lights. Planned and built by me
    an AUSSIE expat living thailand for 18 years.

10. Back To Top    #10

Re: pump size

Quote Originally Posted by frankthailand
    hello Shelton236 i was just reading this this thread and i think it went slighty ascrue for your 40,000 gallon pool i would say you defenitely need a 1.5 HP pump thats my take on the situation cheers
    Frank,

Your comments go against conventional wisdom so you might want to back up your recommendation with some reasoning and facts.
    Mark

11. Back To Top    #11

Mas:

How do the 2-speed pumps work? Do they change speeds automatically based on demand or must the operator manually change speeds to accommodate their own perceived requirements for flow.

Craig
    John explained how the 2 speeds work but you may also want to consider a variable flow pump such as the Intelliflo. This pump will maintain a set flow rate instead of speed no matter what your conditions are (within reason).
    Mark

12. Back To Top    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    PB nearly always recommend a pump that is way too big for the pool. I would consider a much smaller pump or better yet a variable speed/flow pump.

Depending on your plumbing setup, a 3/4 HP pump could easily supply 60 GPM. That is an 11 hour turnover which would allow for at least 2 turnovers per day. If you want 3 per day, then you need closer to 80 GPM which a 1 HP could do. But most pools don't really need three turnovers a day. I generally never go above 2/day.
    well looking at these numbers and say a 10 hr run time with 80gpm that would be a total of 48000gall
    so i thought that with the above numbers a 1.5 might do say 120gpm [depending on plumbing] so that would be 72000gallons in 10 hrs or 86400 in 12 hrs [by the way it is 4.00 am here so i am a bit sleepy but i enjo tfp]

it is 40,000 gall isn't it i am a newbie on tfp but started with pools when i was a pup first one was 25x12 mtrs competion pool in aussie . just trying to be helpful and can handle contructive criticism

EDIT i was not thinking of a 24 hour run time
    Hello all from the land of smiles. Thailand. 5mx9mx1.5 63000L 16300 gall, pebbletex,
    pentair 1hp whisperflow, tagelus TA60 SF, swg monarch esc24 {a bit small for the tropics} 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2 astral 100watt lights. Planned and built by me
    an AUSSIE expat living thailand for 18 years.

13. Back To Top    #13
    Most pools do not need more than 2 turnovers in a 24 hour period but normally they are designed for 3. So that would be about 83 GPM.

I don't know the details of Shelton's plumbing but if you assume that the plumbing is a typical pool which is shown as scenario D in this post. Then, the flow rate for each pump size would be:

3/4 HP - 75 GPM @ 44 ft of head (2.7 turnovers/24 hrs)
    1 HP - 87 GPM @ 57 ft of head (3.1 turnovers/24 hrs)
    1 1/2 HP - 95 GPM @ 67 ft of head (3.4 turnovers/24 hrs)

These are rough estimates but with the 2.7 turnovers/day for the 3/4 HP should be more than enough but if 3 are desired, then go with the 1 HP. 1 1/2 HP is over kill in my mind.
    Mark