Solar heater

Jun 28, 2011
Well I'm of the opinion that pool water flowing through 3/4 inch black pipe on the black shingles on my roof should do a good job of heating the water as it flows through. Anyone had success doing this?

It is all about square footage ... it takes a LOT of 3/4" pipe to get a lot of square footage. Typical recommendations are 50-100% of the surface area of the pool. For the same area, some of the pre-fab square panels seem to be about the same price.

I just removed 2500 ft of 1" tubes from my roof (~210 sqft) and planning to put up 500 sqft of panels ... and I am in AZ ;)

Also note that it is VERY difficult to get all the water out of the irrigation pipe. This makes the plastic VERY soft if non-moving water is in it and the sun is out. And also results in freeze damage if you leave them out in the winter. I had this problem where we BARELY get below freezing. I was always fighting leaks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.