The process of installing our Intex 26'x52" pool

We bought the same pool and are wating for it to ship. Should get it in about a week. Meanwhile we are having a contactor come to level and pack the site. I see that you used 1/4" fanfold insulation as underlayment. We just happen to have several sheet of 4'X8'X1" foam sheets we'd like to use for underlayment. Do you know if this is acceptable? I haven't found any posts that specify thickness of the underlayment for this type pool. I saw your post about triple taping the seams. Appreciate your advice!..

jbeal9,
someone else used the 1/4" fan fold. I used 3/4" extruded polystyrene insulation (it's the pink one). I love the feel of it. Do make sure that your contractor makes your ground smooth. Cause, if there is a dip, you'll feel it. My guy made it all nice and level but there is still a bit of a rolling terrain kind of feel. Not much but I know it's there.

In answer to your question about the 1" thick stuff. I'd think it'd be good. It's thicker than what I used and mine is good.

Just had the city inspector out for the final inspection. Or so I thought . . .

First off, they've never seen a pool like the intex ultra frame. :shock: So, I'm thinking that I'm the only one that has applied for the city permit. That's okay, at least I know I've got my ducks in a row :goodjob: . Or, most of them anyway.

Turns out that we, here in my city, if the water level in a "store-able pool" exceeds 42", which mine does, you have to have an electrician wire up a pole with the GFCI outlet and the cords to my pump and SWG can be no longer than 3'. The cords that came on them are 23' long so, will have to be shortened. It seems that the CORD has to have a GFCI in there somewhere between the plug and the pump if you intend to just plug it in (even if the outlet is GFCI). :rant:

The inspectors were very nice and helpful and informative. It just seems like every time I think I've got it all done, something else pops up :hammer: . I just want to swim! :party:

I've called an electrician and am waiting for a call back / estimate.
Hopefully I won't have to sell blood to pay for it. :shock:

Taterfink said:
It seems that the CORD has to have a GFCI in there somewhere between the plug and the pump if you intend to just plug it in (even if the outlet is GFCI).
That is a strange requirement that I do not see the reasoning behind. Seems like it could present more problems. Does your current pump cord have a gfci built into it (some intex units do).

Re: The process of installing our Intex 26'x52" pool

Linen, no, the cords are simply cords. I currently have them plugged into a GFCI outlet on my back porch. They are telling me that because the "storable"pool holds more than 42" of water, the cords can be no longer than 3' . So I have to have an electrician install a GFCI outlet near the pool (I think it has to be 10' from the pool) . I just don't get what the depth has to do with it. Also, my husband is trying to wrap his mind around the need to cut a perfectly good cord down from 23' to 3' !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

As intex had released larger pools, I am surprised how they have not worked up solutions to this...but I suppose each jurisdiction views their products differently.

The outlet must be at least 6' from the pool. If it is 6' to 10' from the pool the outlet must be a twist lock style. If the outlet is more than 10' then it can be a standard outlet. Both need to be protected from the elements with an approved NEC outdoor outlet cover/housing.

What does the distance have to do with the type of outlet? I have a portable GFCI outlet plugged into my outlet (in the pump house..where my water pump supply for my house is) and then I have a 50' cord plugged into my pool pump. Hope that's ok.

linen,

I'm right there with you on that it seems like intex would address these things with the larger pools. I'm not totally convinced just yet. I suppose I know in my heart of hearts that the inspectors are telling me true. It just doesn't make sense. My husband is going to a bit of research for me (because my brain is fried at this point). In the mean time, I'm trying to locate a few electricians and get some estimates. The inspector did suggest finding an electrician that is familiar with installing a pool.

I keep telling myself that very soon all of this will be done and we will be enjoying our pool and none of the problems will exist any longer.

Thanks by the way for the explanation of the requirements for different distances.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dang! You're quick! I downloaded it and read the section about storable pools.

Having already said that my brain is fried, it occurred to me as I was reading it to my husband that I am not using the intex pump. I am using a Sandpro 75 and an intex SWG (no integral GFCI on that cord either). Out of curiosity, I think I'll go unbox the intex pump tomorrow, just for grins and giggles to see if it has the integral GFCI cord.

In the article, it states that "The receptacle distance is measured as the shortest path an appliance cord would follow without passing through a wall, doorway, or window." My back porch is screened in and we have cut an access point at the bottom of the wall in one corner. So, I am figuring that the "without passing thru a wall" is part of their issue tho they did not say that. It all boils down to the fact that I'm going to have do what they say, whether or not I understand or agree. :rant:

I appreciate the link you gave it did help a lot.

Good luck with the Sandpro 75 !
WE bought one last year and have replaced the top ring clamp and gasket 3 times and its leaking again !!!
Searching the web , it seems to be a common problem due to poor design with lots of negative reviews (amazon)
Im ready to dump the Dang thing and get a Hayward or Hydropro 19" filter.

I am sorry that you've had such a difficult time with the Sandpro 75. But, since I cannot purchase a different filter/pump at this time, I am hoping with all my heart that I will have no problems with this one.

It did leak a couple of times, I attribute it to operator error (mine). I found out that the gasket can actually be placed in the filter two different ways. One way, the collar will not go on at all because the lid won't set down far enough. Also, I found that you need to pack the groove where the gasket goes with silicone lubricant, then seat the gasket, the thick part down in the groove and the thinner part on the horizontal so it is sandwiched between the top and base. I also put silicone lubricant on top of the gasket. Then, I ran my fingers around the the top and side of the gasket in order to remove the excess lube. Leaving enough to seal with but not so much as to stop the top from seating properly because if you use too much lubricant, the lid will not seat and close the gap. When installing the collar, I found that a rubber mallet was useless. I used a "dead blow hammer" and it went on fairly easily.

Re: The process of installing our Intex 26'x52" pool

Absolutely! I've added a deck and privacy fence, patio furniture with an umbrella, rats and of course, GRANDCHILDREN!
The. Pool and filter are doing great.
When do you get yours?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

I also became an owner of a 26' yesterday of the last pool on the east coast!!! Seriously..... I had my teenage daughter drive an hour to the Lynchburg VA wallyworld to get what they said was the last one and in good condition. Once we got off work and came home and saw the outside damaged box....needless to say I was sick....however, all the parts seem to be there and no damage to the liner that we can tell at this point. So what do you guys think? Return or go for it? I called the WM back and told them I couldn't believe they would see a pool in this bad of condition and they were very apologetic and of course I have the option to return BUT it is the very last one and they are SOLD OUT online!!! Oh yeah I did ask my 17 year old if she was blind...... :hammer: HELP!!!

Personally, I'd set it up. The liner is quite tough. The components came boxed within the big box and I thought but I'm not sure that the liner was bagged. Did you get a different pump and filter? Intex is notorious for including under powered pumps for their pools. :rant:

Once you get it all set up your gonna love it! I thought I was prepared for the shear size of this pool. Once I got it standing, I sat on my back porch, looked out at the pool and panicked! :shock: I thought to myself (because I was embarrassed to say it out loud to my husband) " just what in the world have I done"? :hammer: You'll quickly get used to the size and you'll love it!

Keep us posted on the setup and include lots pictures. :nopic:

We'd love to join you in the experience. It's a lot more fun too to have friends rooting you on! :party:

Thank you Angie! I will definitely take pictures!!! Do you have any recent photos of yours once the water was full? Should I do salt or BBB method? I am seeing more and more rust photos from the salt. I used salt in my previous 18x52 old blue and no problems. Will most definitely invest in the sand pump but will have to be next summer. I will be in almost $1500 plus once the pool gets up and going not to mention the little extras I will have to do....I hope it all goes smooth....my husband did NOT want the 26' at all....he wanted to stick with the 22' because of the Goliath size of the 26' so I am crossing my fingers ...LOL...Please keep sending me any tips or advice! I appreciate it soooo much!!! Did you put any spray or rust preventative on the poles or liner?

Thanks, Lisa

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.