Repairing a neglected pool

Jun 11, 2011
I bought a house that already had a pool and had sat in foreclosure for 2.5 years. I found the paperwork for it and double checked with Watsons's, they pulled the invoice and is shows the pool is a Strong Pools Colosseum Riser 33x56 (supposed to be a 54 with at 2in riser but my tape measure doesn't agree) installed by them in July of 2004. So while it was in foreclosure the pool over flowed along with the porch gutters causing a lot of cove and pool floor washout. After many talks with many pool service companies they said it could not be repaired without draining it and then installing a new liner after the repairs.

I was confused why if I have a 56in pool that I would only have a water depth of 45in when the water is in the middle of the skimmer like it should be. So I drained the pool and cut a piece out of the liner to see what I had going on. I found that there was a cove of about 1in if any at all and that the sand is 4.5in deep. The sand is very soft (noticed even when it was full of of water that the bottom was soft enough to easily make dents in it with my foot and I can clearly see now with it drained that the bottom is covered in dents). The sand was also pretty moist which I would not have expected, also I noticed a lot of ants. So after I scooped away the 4.5in of sand in one spot I found a very hard packed base of crushed limestone. Measuring from the lime stone (which I confirmed is the bottom of piece that the pool wall sits in) to the top of the pool wall is right at 54in. The liner that is currently in the pool is a uni-bead but for some reason the bead receiver was not used. I can only guess what has been done, and I suspect that the liner was changed by the homeowner and they wanted it to be more shallow so they added sand, didn't build a cove and didn't pack the sand, causing the washout to be even worse.

I plan to fix all the washout with packed crushed limestone then add sand back on top of it then tamp all of it. I know I am supposed to only have 2in of sand and I am thinking that maybe all this sand is causing the bottom to stay soft, so I plan on removing sand until I have the proper 2in of sand in the bottom. As for the ants I have bought some ant bait to hopefully kill the colony.

Also I will be installing a bottom drain to reduce vacuuming and assist with chemical distribution (everyone I talk to around here says they wouldn't own another pool without one) so really I think I will be looking at 2in of sand on the outside that falls to 1in of sand in the middle.

I am also curious about bottom padding and if it is worth it, there was foam under the old liner and it was covered in algae and came up in several small pieces. I am trying to do this myself and on a budget since quite honestly I can't afford to pay someone to do it, but I would like to do it right.

When is comes to replacing the liner the deck makes it next to impossible to remove the top rails ( I did remove one to properly measure the wall height) so I have cut the uni-bead liner above the bead and just tore it off leaving the small piece over the wall so I should be able to install the new liner in the bead receiver and not have to remove the top rails.

My reasons for posting here are
1. to make sure all my plans are OK and that I'm not missing anything
2. I think I need a 54 liner but I would like for someone here to confirm that before I order it.
3. I have been looking online to purchase a liner and wanted to know if there are some places that people here recommend.

This is my first post so thank you in advance for helping out a new pool owner. I have attached a link to the pics of the pool since that might help.

http://s942.photobucket.com/albums/ad26 ... nc03/pool/

Welcome to TFP.

Looks to me like you need a 52" liner. I'd check on the original order and see if says what they installed.
Using the bead receiver is the smart thing to do. I don't know why they didn't use it to begin with.

The rest of your plan sounds good.

I am planing on ordering the liner tonight, and Im still confused on the wall height, from the top of the crushed limestone (bottom of pool wall) to the top of the pool wall (with the top cap removed) is 54. Watsons says a 56in was sold with it but I think it has been changed since then.

Thanks for the compliment its been a lot of work and will continue to be.

So, I'm making progress on fixing the pool and getting close to putting the liner in. I just wanted to check back here so that people can take a look at what I'm doing to make sure it looks right. I dug out the pool track where it had fallen down due to washout then raised it backup to where it should be then poured concrete under the track so that it won't washout again plus I fixed several drainage issues that caused it in the first place. I waited 2 days then today I used a transit and a 2x4 to screed the sand to make sure I had 1inch of sand in the middle and 2inches on the outside giving 1inch of fall over 16.5 feet so that things move better towards the center drain. After that I made a jig to screed the sand into a 3inch cove on top of the sand technically giving me a 5 inch cove since there is 2 inches of sand under it. I wet the sand then made a tamper and tamped all of it. My questions are is a 5 inch cove OK? It hasn't been packed yet to I expect it to pack to to a 4.5 inch cove after its packed, for beaded liners they recommend "around" a 4 inch cove I would think 4.5 would be OK. Next question does anyone see anything wrong with what I have done and/or plan to do. Also I decided to put down gorilla pad in hopes to cover up any small imperfections that I might have and protect the liner. Thanks for all the help and advice.

Here is my photobucket album with all the pics if have taken of the project.
http://s942.photobucket.com/albums/ad26 ... nc03/pool/

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.