Major pool Chemistry problem

Thanks for the encouragement. This job is getting in the way of my chemistry experiment at home. I don't know which one is more frustrating. I will post results tonight when I get them. I just wanted to make sure I was following all steps correctly and wasn't missing something. I added new sand to filter this year everything looked good on the laterals. I was thinking that could be an issue. Bit hopefully I get this thing cleared up.

I just noticed in your signature that you have a 2.0 HP pump and a 300# sand filter. I have a 1-1/2 HP pump and a 300# sand filter and the pump is too large for the filter. It was causing me all kinds all kinds of problems and I didn't know it until I had to shock and the pool would not clear up. I found that sand was being washed out every time I back washed until at some point the filter started to channel because of excessive flow and pressure.

I had to install a valve on the pump outlet to restrict the flow to the filter. I had been shocking the pool for 24 days, but once I installed the valve the pool cleared up in a day or two. Before the valve was installed the inlet pressure to the filter about 27 psi and after installation it is 10 psi and the pool looks better than it has in years.

Don't know if you have the same problem or not, but you might want to check the sand level again and see if you are losing any. I talked to the Hayward factory about the filter and they told me one indication of channeling is the pressure gauge on the filter inlet. The gauge reading should be very steady - not fluctuating up and down when the filter is in operation. If the gauge pressure is moving up and down they said that is a pretty good indication of channeling.

i dont think i have that problem there is no sand at the end of my discharge hose. I talked to the guy who installed my pool and he said that was the required size. The DE really helps out. Increases pressure but does a good job cleaning the floaters out of the pool. I may downsize pump or get a two stage when this one goes bad, but right now i cant afford it.

Ok Chem check at 7:00.
FC 15
CC 0
Added 0.75 gallons of bleach to get up above 16ppm
PH 7.6
TA 120
CH 170
CYA 45
Pool cloudy but better than yesterday.
Filter pressure was up so I backwashed and added 1cup of DE.
The post above has me questioning my pump and filter now. Am i overthinking again??
I will check chems as soon as the major lightning storm ends and keep FC above 16 for the night

Well Rain stopped for now 3/4 of an inch later.
Checked FC 21
CC<0.5 half a drop turned back clear.
I guess the CC was from the rain??
I will keep checking and keep adding if needed until I go to bed.
I am running out of drops for FC does Dave sell refills of that one reagent or only the whole set?
John

The CC could be junk blown/deposited into the pool from the rain.

Yes, Dave sells that stuff :mrgreen: If you have questions about which refills/kits to order, just call him or post your ?'s here for help/comments from members.

I just looked at his site and bought the big vial of the R-0871(I think) reagent. Having my FC up that high is killing the little bottle that came with my kit. I hope I have enough for my overnight test. I would love to not be obsessed over this pool and its shades of cloudiness. I feel I am checking every 2 hours. My wife thinks I am crazy. She is part right!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well morning chem check after another night of rain:
I failed the OCLT my FCC dropped 5ppm
down to 16ppm still at shock level though
I added enough bleach to bring it up to >20ppm
CC was 0.5 due to rain again?
Water is definately clearer!
Is it possible to pass the OCLT in the rain?
Am I getting close to normal operation in your expert opinions.
I appreciate the guidance and education.
John

CC will fluctuate +/- .5 ppm throughout the shock process, so to have a little CC does not mean you are losing ground. As long as you continue to see improvement overall things are good. Time to open up a bottle of POP (pool owner patience) and stay the course.

Do they sell POP at the liquor store??
Thanks for the encouragement I appreciate it. No one i talk to around here understands the shock procedure they all just throw their puck in and forget about the pool. The pool was noticably clearer today with little areas of dead algae., should i brush that up and make sure its killed by the CL or should I vacuum it up as soon as I see it?? Thanks

Johnny-M said:
:shock: As a matter of fact, they DO carry POP. hiccup :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the encouragement I appreciate it. No one i talk to around here understands the shock procedure they all just throw their puck in and forget about the pool. The pool was noticably clearer today with little areas of dead algae., should i brush that up and make sure its killed by the CL or should I vacuum it up as soon as I see it?? Thanks
You can do either. If just a small amount, I'd just brush and let the filter catch it.

Johnny-M said:

Soon you will be the envy of all your pool owning friends. You will have a crystal clear pool that sparkles and everyone will want to know how you did it. When you tell them a few will scoff, a few will say you are crazy for putting bleach in your pool, and 1 will listen.

Thanks for all the support here! I am not there yet but getting closer. I have no patience when it comes to the scenario that I am in. Numbers right on track with minor (0.5CC) issues and my pool still cloudy. Makes me start questioning everything hat could be an issue(Pump size sand v DE filters and sometimes even going back to the pool store for their worthless advice. I really am glad the mods on here actually take an interest in the issues and respond. If not I thiu nk my pool would be in worse shape and I would have bought alot of uneaded chemicals.
John

Johnny-M said:
No one i talk to around here understands the shock procedure they all just throw their puck in and forget about the pool.
As you are going through this process, not only are you clearing your pool, but you are learning some basic chemistry that will allow you be most efficient with your pool maintenance and your money. That is where the advantage is, you are/will be prepared and not just guessing when you maintain your pool in the future.

Johnny-M said:
I really am glad the mods on here actually take an interest in the issues and respond. If not I thiu nk my pool would be in worse shape and I would have bought alot of uneaded chemicals.
I am a new mod so I don't count, but the other mods on this board are second to none :goodjob: In addition, another reason this board is the best I frequent is that we have some great non-mod regular posters and special contributors that are also super helpful and knowledgeable. Without them this board would not flourish like it does! :cheers:

One way you can "pay it back" is to turn around and help others with their pool issues either here in the virtual world, or in the real world.

Well, its 6:00 am, time for my lab report:
Failed overnight chlorine loss test again!!!
I lost 3ppm 18ppm to 15ppm from 11:00 pm -6:00 am.
0 CC.
Pool is finally clear no haze in the water at all!!
It was clear last night that is why i thought(I know I shouldnt do that)
I would be done with this shocking process.
But I have to be real close given the other two criteria reults.
I just added bleach to get to 20 and we will try again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.