fast rising pH, pump run time or metals in water the cause?

skurys

Apr 25, 2012
So I've been putting this up here and still not sure if its normal for ph to raise past 8 every day or two....

This morning ph was 8, FC 3, TA 60 CYA 30. Up to now I've been running the pump 24hrs a day so maybe this could make the ph rise so fast?

Also I remember the pool store person showing me a vial of water with pink flecks in it, saying i had metals in the water. I'm on well water. Would that rise the ph and was can be done if I have metals in the water?

Re: fast rising pH, pump run time or metals in water the cau

Simply put, do not let your pH get that high. Add enough muriatic acid to your pool to bring the pH down around 7.2 than test DAILY until you are sure you can keep your pH below 8.0 at all times....regardless of the amount or frequency of the acid addition.

The metals in your water has nothing to do with your pH but having metals in your water makes it even MORE important to keep your pH constantly in the 7's.

Got me a big jug of MA and am keeping an eye on it. Should I be pushing it down to 7.2 every time, or seeing how it seems to climb so fast should I perhaps shoot for 7.6 whenever it hits 7.8 -8?

Also being a vinyl pool, shouldn't the ph be alot more stable at those numbers?

Could the pump runnning 24 hrs a day contribute to it rising you think?

Thanks

Since your TA is already fairly low, if you want the PH to be stable, don't lower it very much when it gets too high. Aiming for 7.6 or 7.7 when you lower PH will reduce the total amount of PH drift. The PH should settle around 7.8 (if everything is working).

Still keeping the pH in check, though it is requiring daily addition of MA. If it's rising fast even with a TA of 60, does that mean it's too low and making it unstable, or would lowering to say 40 keep it from rising?

Or do you think small additions of MA and it will eventually settle around 7.8, without having to touch the TA?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.