Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Deciding on test kit

1. Back To Top    #1

Deciding on test kit

Hello!
    I'm a frustrated Baquacil user (haven't had many of those here, have you?) who had a great pool almost two seasons, before getting overrun by Pink Mold at the end of last year. And my pool budget is darn near gone due to the INCREDIBLY expensive chemicals.
    Anyway, I've been looking at forums for expert advice, found yours through poolforum.com, and I'm ready to try chlorine. My question is, will your test kit give me all I need for doing our own chlorine (I'm thinking about SWG or else the BBB method)? I was looking at the Taylor kits, but do you have a link and/or any other info. you could provide that could help me along my 'newbie at chlorine' path towards self-testing?
    Do you sell the kits from this site, or another site?
    Thanks!!!
    Todd
    --------------
    Pool: 16x36, 16,800 gal., vinyl, sand filter, SWG & AquaCal Heat Pump
    Spa: Hot Springs Sovereign, 355 gal., ozone/ion
    The most helpful tool you'll ever have for your pool:
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/

2. Back To Top    #2
    Todd, you've made a common mistake. While we do make a lot of mention here of the TF Test Kit, they are not owned or sold by TFP. Most of us just happen to think it's the best residential kit on the market.

You'll want to direct questions to duraleigh (Dave Smith) over of www.tftestkits.com

His site gives a full description of the kit, which will do all the tests you'll need to maintain a chlorine pool.

I recommend reading the Stickies, starting with this one:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/sticky.php?s=2375

As far as performing the actual tests, they are very simple and Dave's kit comes with a full set of instructions, plus you can always come back here to ask questions.

Sean
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

3. Back To Top    #3

This post lists the contents of the TF100 kit from tftestkits.com and compares it with the Taylor K-2006 you can see here. The best price I've seen for the Taylor K-2006 kit is here which makes it comparable in "price per test" to the TF100 since the latter has 36% more volume of reagents for tests.

I have both tests myself. I had the Taylor K-2006 kit originally and then later bought the TF100 after it was introduced. They are both excellent kits even though a little different.

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Todd, welcome to TFP!!

Converting from Baq takes a good bit of bleach, a fair bit of persistence, a good test kit and patience. You've probably read some of the stuff from the Pool Forum, so are familiar with the process. Converting from Baq to chlorine (be it bleach, dry chlorine or that produced by a SWCG) is quite similar to dealing with algae, you've got to burn the stuff out by using high ppms of chlorine and stick with it, consistently and without taking a 'break' from the dosing procedure until the process is done. As such: a GOOD test kit is essential (but, then again a good test kit is essential for any pool owner who wants to properly maintain their pool!!!!!!!!) The TF kit, sold by one of the members here (duraliegh) is as good a kit as you could buy - it's functionally equivalent to the Taylor 2006-K, but the test reagents are supplied in quantities matched to how much you can reasonably expect to use (the 2006 gives the same size bottle for all tests, regardless as to whether you need 2 or 20 drops of each to do a given test). As for help with using the kit - you'll get quick and knowledgeable help from a lot of the members here (who use the kit and are familiar with it) and also from the seller, as well as other members who are pool professionals who do water testing as part of their job (though all these people would help you even if you don't get the kit available - I doubt that anyone else who sells kits would help you as much {if at all}) This site is full of people who want to help you get your pool Trouble Free, regardless as to what kind of pool you have or how you choose to maintain it (though we strongly suggest the methods we've found to be most useful/ successful).

Please read the 'stickies' to see the basics of what we advise and why we say the things we do about chemistry and keeping any pool trouble free.

Again, welcome to this forum, I hope that you can find the answers you need to 'take your pool into your own hands'
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks!

I was typing a reply and hit something that made it go away, so if this is a duplicate, please forgive me.
    Thanks for your comments and help so far; I'm going to get the TF100 (probably today), with a target of Saturday to begin opening my pool.
    I LOVE the looks and 'feel' of this forum, you guys seem extremely helpful. Thanks again for your answers so far Sean, Chem Geek and Waste!
    Todd
    --------------

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry
    Hi, Todd,

I'll ship your kit today. Thanks for your order.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

kit

You're welcome, and thanks for shipping today, I'm excited about pulling the cover off this weekend!
    I think...
    thanks again, Dave!
    Todd
    --------------

8. Back To Top    #8
    I have nothing to add at this time, except to say

Welcome to TFP!

And get prepared to see your water change to some funky colors during the conversion!! We are here to help you every step of the way!!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!