Spa SWG

wiz28

Mar 7, 2008
Anyone know of a good SWG for a hot tub? I have researched 2 of them so far and the chloromatic seems like a good choice but have not seen hardly any reviews on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

In my experience, salt is not the best way to go for a hot tub. The chlorine burns off too quickly, and the salt can be corrosive to your spa shell if you don't maintain consistent levels. What are your motives to use salt? Are you trying to reduce chemical use, make your water softer, etc?

Have you considered looking at reduced chemical use by using mineral sanitizers?

Thanks for the comment. I am trying to stay away from anything that is irritating to the skin due to my wife and son having eczema. I have been using bromine for awhile now. The hot tub is inside a Florida room so it gets no direct sunlight so burnoff should not be a problem from the sun. I have not looked into a mineral system but will be checking them out since you mentioned it. Any other feedback is appreciated, thanks.

If you use the spa fairly frequently, then you can use Nature2 with non-chlorine shock (MPS) as the primary system with occasional (once a week or two) chlorine shocking to keep the water clear. Just note that any oxidizer can be irritating, be it chlorine, bromine or MPS. At least with Nature2, the silver ions help break down the most irritating minor component in MPS products so they become more tolerable.

If you use the spa a lot, such as every day or two, you could also use Dichlor-then-bleach, but you would target a low 1-2 ppm FC for the start of your soak and then dose with chlorine right afterwards (see Using Chlorine in a Spa). This is basically not much different that taking a bath since your tap water is also either chlorinated or chloraminated.

Thank you for the info. Been looking around at different things and I came across the "Soft Soak" system by Bioguard. Anyone have any feedback on it? Liking the Nature2 system but wanted some clarification. It says to run the spa 4 hours a day? Is that just the recirc pump or the jets? Also I have 1989 Hot Spring Highlife tub that I am assuming will be compatible with this system. I did the measurements on the filters and all looks good. Will be doing some researching on the web for the best price on this system and will check back periodically for any comments.

SpaGuard® Soft Soak® is a Baquacil/biguanide/PHMB product. It is expensive and can be harder to keep the spa from developing white water mold unless you use a Spa System Flush or similar product after most drain/refill changes. For a chlorine and bromine free experience, Nature2 with MPS is generally better.

As for running the spa, Nature2 is talking about circulation since water circulates through the Nature2 cartridge.

Thank you Chem Geek! You talked me into one :) Thanks to all that commented. I am sure I will be back with more questions because I will be looking for a SWG for the pool in a couple of months. Thanks again folks!

Just a thought...why not try the chlorine approach that chemgeek mentioned and if that does not work, then spend the money on the nature2? I have some sensitive skin people (including eczema) use my tub and pool which both use chlorine (and both have salt and borates) and their skin appeared to be better after a few swims/soaks in my pool and tub(though this observation was by no means scientific). I believe from some of my observations that if a pool and/or tub is properly chlorinated and the other parameters are properly controlled and maintained, most sensitive skin wearing people would not have an issue. Just my 2 cents... :blah:

Ok folks, just received the Nature2 system but am a little confused on how to install it into my filter system. I have a stand pipe that the filter slips on and then a piece on top that screws on the top on the filter (closed top). I am only able to use one of the support stems due to size on the Nature2. My concern is that cartridge getting sucked into the pump. Is there a way to use it besides in the filter cartridge or I being paranoid on the whole pump thing? I have tried it by putting the Nature2 cartridge inside the stand pipe from underneath but again, am afraid of it being sucked in. Again, thanks for any input.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.