40 AMP breaker for 50 AMP recommended

jackj

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 5, 2008
I just bought a used Down East Exeter ('03 - '05) that calls for a 50 AMP breaker. The manual says it has 2 pumps, but some spec listing online says 3. It's not the SE version. The prior owners of our house had a spa and it has a 40 AMP GFCI already installed. The pool/hot tub guy who's repairing the chewed-up wiring said that the 40 AMP should be fine, as the 50 AMP spec is being overly-cautious, but it normally wouldn't draw enough to trip the 40 AMP. Thoughts?

Jack,

Circuit Breaker sizes are based upon the wiring they are trying to protect. What is the size of the breaker in the main panel that feeds your sub panel for the spa?

I suspect your electrician is correct based upon his practical experience, I am not sure he is correct based upon passing local codes..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks. And fwiw, he's not a licensed electrician, though was an assistant for awhile and has been in this business for quite awhile.
Unfortunately, my main breaker box has a lot of unlabeled breakers (they added on a second one, which is well-labeled). I do see a pair of 40 amps (grouped as though they're a 220v), so I presume that's the one that feeds this. No 50's, though.

The hot tub guy noted how much more expensive 50 amp fuses are, so I was hoping to avoid doing that.
Looking that up now, it appears that the huge expense is for a GFI 50 amp. Am I thinking right that if we upped the main box to 50 amp, and ran the hot tub with the 40, it wouldn't be too bad? We could see if the 40 amp tripped a lot, and if so, then up that to 50 amp? Depending on the wire size; if AWG 6, from what I understand. The run from the main box to the GFI is short, about 10-15 feet (if that). Then about 25 to the hot tub.

But if so, would it be safe to go that route?

You can't just stick a 50 amp breaker in your main panel unless the wires are rated for 50 amp.. If you have a 40 amp breaker then most likely the wires are rated for 40..

I can't tell you it is safe, but if this were my hot tub, I would hook it up and see what happens...

Jim R.

Last edited:
Gotcha; thanks. I need to confirm whether they may have used #6 gauge, despite using 40a breakers. Probably not, though. But if so, then I could swap in a 50amp breaker. If not, keep the 40amp, and see if it trips or not under load. Thanks again.

As Jim said, the breaker is to protect the wire, not the device. As long as the device isn't constantly tripping the breaker, you should be ok.

Thanks, all. I'll confirm the size of the wire - both runs - and either see if it trips, or try to figure the amount of draw. It will be both the heater and circulation. One source said it's 2 motors; another said 3. I hate to ask here, but since I have people responding and still none in my other question, any thoughts on pulling the bottom pan in order to clean it? There appears to be insulation/fiberglass that was sprayed and are linked to it and the pipes. Will it be problematic to pull and get back on? Thanks!

they may have used #6 gauge, despite using 40a breakers.

The wire required is based on both the load and the length of the run. Longer runs require larger wire to account for increased resistance over the longer wire. #6 copper should be good for 50a up to about 150 feet, after that it goes up to a #4.

#6 for 40a goes out to 210 feet before it drops to a #4 for longer runs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.