4.5 year old plaster -Sun shelf chipped off

Topfox

Jul 2, 2018
VA
Just opened my pool cover for the first time since closing in Oct and just find piles of plaster that appears to have chipped off over the winter. What would cause this to happen, and should this be covered under some sort of plaster warranty do you think? It’s all from the top of my sun shelf.

Otherwise plaster seems fine other than for the last 2 years I’ve been getting calcium nodules (maybe 20 different ones) in many areas on the walls of the pool through very small random cracks in the plaster

73E39F49-B809-4565-8585-53D8A8B67DA1.jpegF227809D-E3C9-4FF7-922F-A81F095DC0F2.jpeg

From the photos, it appears to be a condition known as "spalling".
It could be from bad plastering, or from being froze over the winter.
I would call the contractor and get their opinion.

Reactions: proavia
Just opened my pool cover for the first time since closing in Oct and just find piles of plaster that appears to have chipped off over the winter. What would cause this to happen, and should this be covered under some sort of plaster warranty do you think? It’s all from the top of my sun shelf.

Otherwise plaster seems fine other than for the last 2 years I’ve been getting calcium nodules (maybe 20 different ones) in many areas on the walls of the pool through very small random cracks in the plaster

View attachment 478349View attachment 478350
Was that shelf out of the water the whole time the pool was closed? Hard to tell from the picture if it is dry. See paragraph 3 of the following article:

Reactions: onBalance
Was that shelf out of the water the whole time the pool was closed? Hard to tell from the picture if it is dry. See paragraph 3 of the following article:
There is roughly 2-3 inches on top of it currently. Not sure if when it was closed if there was water or not. Closing is the only thing I pay someone else to do. My guess is there was water as I have a solid auto cover over the pool

Talked to pool builder today. He subs out the plaster work and can’t remember what warranty the plaster company provides. Said he will reach out to them though to try to get them out to look at it. So guess we will see, although that’s assuming someone actually comes out. I tried for a year to get the pool builder out for a damaged coping stone replaced and eventually gave up and hired a mason doing some other work for me to fix it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.