3way valve position and SCWG (IC60) plumbing

MARV19

Aug 25, 2018
Wesley Chapel/ FL
Hello All
Greetings. We are in the final stage of connecting everything to the equipment pad. We have infinity edge spa attached to pool. We just want to chlorinate SPA by only spillover mode. Could you please verify the attached plumbing diagram is the right one for spill over mode. Do I need to change anything here. I would greatly appreciate your feed back.
Thanks

Attachments

• D8DA8C1D-5E8A-4897-BC24-F4DE19D06EDA.jpeg
    D8DA8C1D-5E8A-4897-BC24-F4DE19D06EDA.jpeg
    320.6 KB · Views: 10

Will your pool have a Pentair automation system or not?

I ask, because if you put your cell where it is in the pic, when you switch to the spa mode, the cell will get no water, and only the flow switch will keep it from trying to make chlorine. If the flow switch failed, it could cause the cell to explode. Does not happen often but can happen.

If you have a EasyTouch, IntelliTouch, or the new IntelliCenter, then you can set the cell's output to zero when in the spa mode.

That said, the location of the cell in your pic will only send chlorinated water into the pool. The Spa will only get chlorinated pool water when it is spilling over into the pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Will your pool have a Pentair automation system or not?

I ask, because if you put your cell where it is in the pic, when you switch to the spa mode, the cell will get no water, and only the flow switch will keep it from trying to make chlorine. If the flow switch failed, it could cause the cell to explode. Does not happen often but can happen.

If you have a EasyTouch, IntelliTouch, or the new IntelliCenter, then you can set the cell's output to zero when in the spa mode.

That said, the location of the cell in your pic will only send chlorinated water into the pool. The Spa will only get chlorinated pool water when it is spilling over into the pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hello Jim,
Thank you for your time, also for the quick reply. Yes, I already purchased Intelli center automation with IC60 load center along with the IC60 cell from Polytec Pools. It is a i10PS kit.
You made a good point about SPA not getting chlorinated water in SPA mode and the potential of cell damage. As you suggested I can set cell out put to zero in the automation to prevent the catastrophe, right?.
To prevent algae formation, I want SPA to be chlorinated just by spill over mode. Hopefully this is sufficient. Furthermore SPA has dedicated pump and gas heater separate main drain, but, no filter.
Do u think I should move the 3 way valve after the cell placement and connect the return lines accordingly?. Once again, my intention of spa chlorination is through spill over mode.
Thanks
MARV19

Just so that we are both on the same page. The IntelliCenter has two chlorine settings. One for the Pool mode and one for the Spa mode. I see no problems with leaving the cell where it is and just setting the Spa mode cell output to zero.

The only downside to this is if you plan to sit in the spa for hours at a time. Since the Spa never gets fresh water unless you are in the Spillover mode, it is possible that you could use all the available chlorine up. Most people don't use the spa that long.

In theory, the cell should be before the 3-way valve, so that it chlorinates both the Pool and the Spa, but you are going to have an acid feeder of some type and I am not sure I would want acid being dumped into the spa when people are in it.

Your original idea will work just fine.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Having chlorine sent to the spa during use is a good idea. 4 people in a 1000 gallon spa is like 40 people in a 10000 gallon pool. You need to be adding chlorine while the spa is in use.

Just so that we are both on the same page. The IntelliCenter has two chlorine settings. One for the Pool mode and one for the Spa mode. I see no problems with leaving the cell where it is and just setting the Spa mode cell output to zero.

The only downside to this is if you plan to sit in the spa for hours at a time. Since the Spa never gets fresh water unless you are in the Spillover mode, it is possible that you could use all the available chlorine up. Most people don't use the spa that long.

In theory, the cell should be before the 3-way valve, so that it chlorinates both the Pool and the Spa, but you are going to have an acid feeder of some type and I am not sure I would want acid being dumped into the spa when people are in it.

Your original idea will work just fine.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim,
Thank you.

Having chlorine sent to the spa during use is a good idea. 4 people in a 1000 gallon spa is like 40 people in a 10000 gallon pool. You need to be adding chlorine while the spa is in use.
Thank you for your suggestion. Since I've dedicated pump and gas heater for SPA jet operation and to have a chlorinated fresh water in SPA, I can simply run the filter pump in spill over mode, right?. Yes the down side is running two pumps and electric bill.

Your regular pump will be running for heated water right? Or is the heater only on the spa jet pump?
EDIT. Sorry. I see you said that. That is odd as the heater limits the flow rate you can get.

Your regular pump will be running for heated water right? Or is the heater only on the spa jet pump?
EDIT. Sorry. I see you said that. That is odd as the heater limits the flow rate you can get.
I've a electric heater for pool, gas heater for spa. Spa has two main Drains one connected to pool suction side with a single return(two 2" pipe spa floor return for spill over ). The other spa main drain is connected to the SPA pump. I understand the flow restriction by putting dedicated SPA heater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.