kellysheroes3

Nov 7, 2020
Northern Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
First, a big thank you to all who contribute here. I have learned a lot from browsing the forum.

I am in a middle of a pool build and besides my PB and this forum, I have been receiving some great advice from a local who has been in the business for 35 years (first residential build/repair/maintenance and now commercial work). My conundrum is my 3 returns.

Due to my downward slope and therefore the potential for freezing for any plumbing in the pool wall on the 5’ drop, my skimmers (2) and at least one of my returns will be on the same side. My PB normally installs 3 returns within a three (3) foot section using 1” pipe off a 2” header. The returns are installed at a 45 degree angle and cut off flush with the plaster without any fitting. In black on picture.

My “local” advisor recommended the locations shown with 3 gray eyeball fittings stating same, or likely better, circulation and flexibility to point eyeballs up to collect debris, especially during pollen season, and down when heating. Shown in white.

My PB will do whatever I want and I like the flexibility that the 3 eyeball fitting solution gives me. My question is concerning the return located on the tanning ledge on left (no bubblers). My PB isn’t a fan of installing a return on the tanning ledge and would like to put this return in a similar location, but on the pool wall below the tanning ledge. He believes the water is too shallow, ~9” of water, and also had some concern when heating the pool. My local believes the location is great for “sweeping” the ledge of debris.

Where would you locate this 3rd return? On the tanning ledge or on the all below the tanning ledge? Note: location of skimmers, et al. not exact, but close.

Thanks ahead of time.

Tom M

plumbing.jpg

Hello!~ Welcome to posting on TFP :)

Are those skimmers taking advantage of prevailing winds in your yard? Because to my mind those return placements don't encourage any movement towards the skimmers.

Folks in your area normally close their pools and empty the pipes out in the fall..... you can also add a bit of RV antifreeze to those pipes if so inclined.

Maddie :flower:

The skimmers do take advantage of the prevailing wind. I'm not sure whether you are talking about both options for the returns, or just one of the two options (i.e. the PB proposed in black or local expert in white) when expressing concern about movement towards the skimmers. The question remains, if I change nothing else and go with the local expert's return location (in white), do I place the the 3rd return on the tanning ledge or on the wall below the tanning ledge?

I'm not a fan of bringing in a pipe at 45° angle and cutting flush. You are then locked in to a specific direction. Bring pipe in 90° and use the typical eyeball set up. Putting a return in the tanning ledge will usually keep the ledge dirt moving and ending up in the deeper water where the robot can get to it best. I'd have that return a direct run to the equipment pad so it can have its own valve to control the output as you say there's only 9" to work with.

Last edited:
I agree with using eyeballs. I'm gonna recommend adding 2 to 3 returns. I would put 2 on the tanning ledge in both corners to sweep the ledge. Robots hate going up on them. I would home run these two with their own valve. Then I would pair off the other 4 amd home run each pair with a valve. Space them to be able to switch flow either way for a toilet bowl effect. In a pool build theres nothing cheaper than 200 bucks of PVC and an hour labor to have excellent flow control. In the old days they had 1 skimmer amd 1-2 returns, the circulation was horrible amd any leak left you paralyzed. If you home run each skimmer you could have a busted pipe amd mot blink an eye, just shut a valve amd keep on swimming to deal with it whenever

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.