ORP for Hotel SWG

Aquatica

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 26, 2010
Nassau, Bahamas
Hi Guys,

I'm taking the plunge into ORP with the SWG. I know the CYA throws of the pH monitoring off ORP's but more and more hotels and commercial establishments want SWG's.

My questions is how much does the CYA throw of the pH monitoring?

I'm studying up on Haywards PoolComm systems. very interested in commercial SWG, ORP and remote monitoring of pools.

Thanks for your time!

You need to do conventional testing of the FC level and use that the calibrate the ORP controller, i.e. get the FC level to where you want it, note what the ORP level is, and then use that as your ORP target. This has to be redone regularly, as the ORP to FC relationship will drift around a bit.

You don't usually want the full normal SWG CYA level when using ORP control. CYA around 50 or higher tends to cause problems for ORP controllers. As the CYA level goes up, the strength of the ORP signal goes down and eventually gets lost in the noise.

Interesting. Thanks Jason. We got to make ORP work with SWG's as this is what the commercial/public pools are moving towards.

I like to target FC of 5ppm as this seems to be perfect for any situation, even a heavy bath load. CYA can be 60-80.

so once I get this set up maybe we can control the pH.

would quarterly pool testing (every 3 months) of all levels of pool water be sufficient. I could always teach the pool guy how to test Fc and pH using a K1001 test kit. they can do this as often as they want or at least 1-2 a week.

Hayward Pool Comm: http://www.hayward-commercial-pool.com/ ... 0632__.htm

very interested in getting into this...

Aquatica said:
would quarterly pool testing (every 3 months) of all levels of pool water be sufficient.
No, not even remotely close to acceptable. Most commercial facilities using ORP test the FC level and adjust their ORP target daily. You also need to do CC testing daily, and various other things weekly.

Also, as I said last time, CYA at 50 or higher tends to be problematic with ORP sensors. And finally, you don't want to attempt ORP control unless you already have automated PH regulation working. Even small changes in PH dramatically affect the ORP to FC relationship. Without tight control over the PH level, ORP automation is not normally going to work.

JasonLion said:
Aquatica said:
would quarterly pool testing (every 3 months) of all levels of pool water be sufficient.
No, not even remotely close to acceptable. Most commercial facilities using ORP test the FC level and adjust their ORP target daily. You also need to do CC testing daily, and various other things weekly.

Also, as I said last time, CYA at 50 or higher tends to be problematic with ORP sensors. And finally, you don't want to attempt ORP control unless you already have automated PH regulation working. Even small changes in PH dramatically affect the ORP to FC relationship. Without tight control over the PH level, ORP automation is not normally going to work.

Ok thanks Jason. so daily testing is a must. I will give them a k2006 kit.

these hotels and resorts want a salt system. I have to work out a way to keep pH under control. I have no time to test every day so will teach them how. thanks!

I think the simplest solution is the pentair intellichem. You can get it with two built in pumps ( one for acid and one for chlorine) or one built in pump for acid and get the intellichlor swg that integrates with the intellichem for total control of chlorine and PH!

jeffhask said:
I think the simplest solution is the pentair intellichem. You can get it with two built in pumps ( one for acid and one for chlorine) or one built in pump for acid and get the intellichlor swg that integrates with the intellichem for total control of chlorine and PH!
Again, for a commercial pool this is not even close to acceptable without a person checking the FC, CC, & PH levels daily, other levels weekly, and generally making sure that the system is working correctly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.