New pool proj.Flagstoning around (and on) my fiberglass pool

Re: New pool proj.Flagstoning around (and on) my fiberglass

Ha! Amazingly I am still working on this project. I got tired of looking at flagstone and cutting flagstone so I have been doing other things in addition to this. But I am very close! I have about 60sq feet left to cover and I will be all done and can start tiling the skim line. Have lots of pics though so I will try to get some uploaded tonight.

I guess I will do this in a number of posts since I have been negligent for so long. Here are some pictures of the extension onto my existing pond. I was able to get most of this work done while I was waiting for the the flagstone delivery.

Digging up the trench I ran into my active and an older fiber run. I knew roughly where they were and was able to identify the older one so that I could clip it and I ran the active one under the waterfall/filter box.

Brick border for the new section

Here is the filter box / waterfall that I built. It is made of cinder blocks that I cut up and then mortared together. I was able to get a few pieces of flagstone in advance so that I could put a veneer on the box.

Ripping out the old upper pond and draining it so that I can put the new liner in.

More to come.

A quick detour to build a firepit with extra brick and flagstone

This is the finished filter box / waterfall

Side of the pump house.

And more sections of flagstone.

It's a lot like a jigsaw puzzle and I had to make sure that I knew where each piece went so after cutting and cleaning each piece I would take a picture of the area that I was getting ready to grout and then print it our for reference.

Man!!! WOOOOWWW I'm impressed ... Had done a DIY job for my fiberglass pool, but not remotely like this... Great Job... I had so many questions, if you will...
1. How's maintenance with the pond and all?
2. For the first job how long does it took, and did you get any help or contracted any job phase?
3. Like I said I did installed my pool also and everything went fine except decks, I pour concrete slabs and applied Kool deck, but it hasn't hold on too good. I was thinking of removing it and doing something else. Your first deck was "flagstone" like concrete, right? Could you elaborate on how you went about it. I've already seen your album on Photobucket but didn't got that part.

Keep up the good work, looks beautiful!!

Maintenance on the pond is actually pretty easy. I have two biofilters, a UV light and a screen prefilter that covers the pump. I have to clean the pump filter once a week during the summer and I clean out the biofilters maybe once a year. I never have to put chemicals in it. The plants and fish do a good job balancing each other out. And I have to vacuum the bottom out once or twice a year. Keeping herons and racoons out is the biggest challenge.

As for the pool, I've done all of the work myself. This latest upgrade has been going on since February although I have ignored it for large stretches of time! I will be happy to put it to rest here shortly.

My original deck which is in the picture at the beginning of this post was poured concrete. I bought a cement form that you use to build cobblestones and I pressed it onto the cement as it was setting. After it was dried I painted each cobblestone with a Xylene base cement paint. It held up pretty well over the years, but was never a big fan of the white ring around the pool so I was looking for a new deck that I could cantilever over the edge.

Here is where I stand as of this morning. I have one more section to do and I will be done! I am going to cut the flagstone in a straight line where it meets the deck so that it is flush up to the final deck board.

Here is the tile that I purchased to do the skim line. I am going to start on this as soon as I get the flagstone put to bed!

Hey, I've done very similar waterline on mine. Here on the picture still no grout yet.
photo5ty.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I like the tile. How easy/hard was it to put on? Did you have to tape up each section as you put them on or does the adhesive hold them up as soon as you set them? Did you buy it as a kit or just buy tile and silicone separately? Do you use silicone to put the tile up and are you also planning on using that to do the grout work?

I bought my light sockets on Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/Generic-Wedge-Bas ... d_sbs_hg_1

keithw said:
I like the tile. How easy/hard was it to put on? Did you have to tape up each section as you put them on or does the adhesive hold them up as soon as you set them? Did you buy it as a kit or just buy tile and silicone separately? Do you use silicone to put the tile up and are you also planning on using that to do the grout work?

I bought my light sockets on Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/Generic-Wedge-Bas ... d_sbs_hg_1
I've used silicone and is very easy to set up. I've aplied the silicone to the mat, then put into place, make sure border is dry, you may have to drain water to leave about a foot clean to install the tile. On my case I didn't needed the tape silicone and tile were light enough to hold. If you plan to use white grout, then use white silicone as adhesive, that way any over spilling could be cover by the grout. I started using clear silicone, then when I apply the grout there were a couple overspilling you could see the clear silicone. Also keep in mind the levels of your pool, if you have minor level differences that cant be seen without a waterline, installing the tile would make it visible. I installed mine with pool half full and using top border as guide, and when I filled up there where many parts where the pool had sinked you could tell the difference on the waterline, therefore use current waterlevel as your level. Finally I've silicone Based Grout, fast setting, easy to clean, try not to let get on the water too much, my guess is that it adhere to my cartridge filter.
Turn out pretty either way I think:
poolwaterline.jpg

Well I am pretty much done. I did the last section over Thanksgiving weekend. I either gave away or stashed all of the remaining pieces of flagstone as well. I am tired of looking at flat rocks. Here are pics of the final area.

I have a couple of items to finish before I can put this to bed. I am going to grind out a few grout lines that had cracks where I did not float it well and regrout them and grind the lip where the flagstone meets the wood deck. I think I am going to cut in an expansion joint on either side of the waterfall where it meet the deck as well. Haven't decided on that yet. And I need to tile the waterline. I am also going to put a sloped piece of trim at the edge of the deck where it meets the flagstone so there will be a smooth transition.

I also need to pressure wash and seal the deck. If anyone knows of an affordable long lasting sealant, please let me know. I would like the colors to pop a bit so I am thinking of one that makes it look a little wet? I think I will experiment with some of the spare flag before I commit to what I am going to put down.

And I am going to put my Stihl TS400 up on Cragislist for sale. It is a great saw but sadly I really never used it. An angle grinder is so much easier to handle on these type of cuts. Oh well it was a fun toy and it works great for cutting brick.

I burned through (4) Harbor Freight $9.99 angle grinders before I finally sucked it up an bought a $30.00 Ryobi that lasted for the final stretch. I guess you get what you pay for.

I pressure-washed everything this week and ordered a sealant. The pressure washing made quite a difference on a lot of the stones. You don't realize that there is a concrete haze on everything from the grout until you starting spraying it off. I went with Dupont StoneTech® Professional Enhancer Pro™ Sealer. It is pretty pricey ($145.00ish per gallon) but is highly rated from feedback that I got on John Bridge's tiling forum. I am going to seal it this weekend.

Flagstoning around my fiberglass pool / almost finished

I am getting very close to being finished. The sealant is applied and I have all of the pool tile installed and most of it grouted. It is surprising how strong of a bond the silicon creates once you glued the tiles on with it and then grouted it in. I used a white silicon for the attachment and a grey silicon for the grout. Ran out of grout and now I have to wait for a new shipment to finish up.

Reactions: lboudreaux
Keith, can you give some insight on your tile install? Any tips to provide? Did you just butt the tile up to the coping or did you go off your waterline level? Did you have to get in the water to install or did you do it from above on decking? I appreciate any details you can provide.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.