Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 18' Round Strong Pools AGP - Big enough?

1. Back To Top    #1

18' Round Strong Pools AGP - Big enough?

Hi all,

I've started the process for having an 18' Round Strong Pools "Colosseum Riser" (56" deep) installed this spring. Some factors went into this decision:

We don't have a huge yard, there's going to mainly just be me and my husband using it. We like to float, also like to dive under, but aren't so much into swimming laps. My husband is 6'2", I'm 5'9". We don't have a huge back yard.

Is 18' a good size or will it feel like a kiddie pool to us? We could go a little bigger, but would rather stick with something smaller & more porportional to our backyard.

Would love to hear from someone with an 18' pool, would also love to hear from someone who has a Strong Pools brand pool and how they like it for some reassurance - lol!
    21' Round (12k Gallons) AG
    Strong Pools Colosseum Riser 56", 1 hp Sand filter, 10'x12' Composite Deck,
    Auquacal Aerotemp Heat Pump, Also: Sundance Cameo Spa
    See my pool build thread here: Katkami's Pool Build - With time lapse video!

2. Back To Top    #2

I had an 18' Intex before I got a 21' this year. The 18' was plenty big enough for floating around and relaxing. The reason I moved to a 21' was just because I had enough room for a bigger pool.
    21' Round AGP, 10k gallons - 2hp 2spd pump - 300lb sand filter - Stenner Chlorine Injector - Pool Rover

3. Back To Top    #3
    Thanks KMB! How was the size jump from 18 to 21? Did it seem much bigger? Do you have any pictures posted of your 21'?

4. Back To Top    #4
    We actually went out and marked & measured again last night and the 3' seems to make a huge difference (although it is SO hard to tell when you're staring at circles on the ground), so we're going to go for it.

5. Back To Top    #5

Going from the 18' to the 21' was alot bigger, but I had an 18' Intex. I went from the 18' round, about 3' - 3.5' high, and around 6700 gallons on the Intex to 21' round, 4' high, and 10,000 gallons. The 18' was plenty enough room for 2-3 people floating around and good bit of people standing, but that's it, no diving or swimming laps. I'm happy with the new 21', but if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. I haven't taken any pictures, yet, but after the deck is built, I will try to get some pictures. Good luck, I hope the 21' works for you.
    21' Round AGP, 10k gallons - 2hp 2spd pump - 300lb sand filter - Stenner Chlorine Injector - Pool Rover

6. Back To Top    #6
    Hi there

We were also limited in the size of the pool that we could get because of our yard. A 21' pool was the very largest we could fit. Is the 21' large enough? It seems plenty big for us and our three kids.

Sure bigger would be better...but that wasn't an option. If your limited in pool size like we were...get the largest pool that you could fit. No matter if that's an 18' or a 21'...so be it. Build it and enjoy!

dan
    21' Aqua-Leader AGP (10,200 gallons).
    Hayward cartridge filter and two speed pump.
    Aqua-Cal HeatWave 100k (HeatPump)
    Salt 3200ppm (in non-salt water pool)
    Borates 20ppm (slowly raising)
    Aqua-Rite SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

We're quite happy with our 18'. Just fine for the two of us and we do fine when we have a couple of friends over too. We can float around and read those mystery novels without bumping into each other much at all.
    18 ft.52" Round Atrium AG -7600 gallons, Sand Filter, Vinyl liner, Royal Entrance Steps, 80 lbs.solarsalt

8. Back To Top    #8
    Thanks all - We spoke to the pool company, the town & the installer and everyone is on board with the 21' change now. We could actually probably "fit" up to 24' (could even "fit" a larger oval), but that would mean less yard, closer to the house, etc. etc. I think we would've been happy with 18, but might have always felt that we should've gone a little bigger, so 21 was a good comprimise. Again - so hard to tell when you're not actually in the pool. The 21' looked a little more proportional to the 10x10' deck we plan to put in too (we think).

Now we just have to continue to wait until it's warm enough to install it! Having all this time to think, over-analyze & second guess everything is killing us!!!

9. Back To Top    #9
    My 21ft Round is plenty big enough. Would I like a bigger one?Sure,but a 21ft is all the bigger my back yard could fit. Enjay your new pool!
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Thanks, we just got approval from the town for our permit this morning - woohoo!

Is there anyone else out there with a "Strong Pools" brand pool?