Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 3" Tablet vs Liquid chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

3" Tablet vs Liquid chlorine

Is there any way to compare tablets to liquid? Is 1 3" tablet = to 8oz of liquid? Sorry if I'm not explaining it properly, but I think you'll get my drift. Thanks
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 3" Tablet vs Liquid chlorine

Quote Originally Posted by meatloaf
    Is there any way to compare tablets to liquid? Is 1 3" tablet = to 8oz of liquid? Sorry if I'm not explaining it properly, but I think you'll get my drift. Thanks

the pool people told me that 1 lb of powder is equal to 1 gal of bleach, but they were wrong as it takes 1 gal (6% bleach) to raise a 10k gal pool 6ppm, while for powder it was taking me 2 lbs to achieve the same rise in chlorine levels. i dont know how 3" tablets compare to the powder, if they are lb for lb equal, but im sure they are quite close.
    30,000gal In-ground Gunite Pool DE filter
    Polaris 380 APC

BBB method all the way - Newb, like to absorb info and chatter, but take the experts' advise

3. Back To Top    #3

It depends on the weight of the tablet and the concentration of the liquid.

For example, 1 8-ounce 3" tablet is equivalent in chlorine content to 7 cups of 12.5% chlorinating liquid or 14.2 cups of 6% bleach.

You can use The Pool Calculator (which you can find in The Stickies link at the top of this TroubleFreePool website) and just keep in mind that 3" Trichlor tabs come in different weights. Usually they are 8-ounces, but some are 7 and I've some that are 6.

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"