Design thoughts

More on waterfall and controller...

I think it's important to go over with your PB exactly how the plumbing, along with all valves and actuators, will work in association with your pool controller during the install process. I don't think most "soon to be" pool owners do this. A PB would do what they think you want and then teach you how to use it after it's installed - At which point you're probably stuck with it. At the end of the day it'll be something minor, but would still be very difficult and expensive to change.

For instance: If you wanted to use your spa and have the sheer descent waterfall (the one on the raised bond beam in the middle of the pool) work at the same time.... you couldn't do that with your current design. You would need to redesign plumbing at the pad, and maybe change return plumbing, add another pump, and get a controller with more buttons. To me this wouldn't be important, but it's good to know what to expect.

I think what the PB meant is that when you aren't using the spa, the waterfall needs to run so you circulate the water through the spa to keep your chemical levels the same and consistent. When you use the spa, you turn off the circulation to the pool and only run the water from and to the spa. I have that setup. You wouldn't want your waterfall not run for several days unless you wish to balance both your pool and spa individually, if that makes sense. The only time my waterfall doesn't run is 1. when we have the spa heated and in use OR 2. during the winter when the pool is winterized and the spa is always used. At that point, we balance only the water in the spa. We have a plumbing layout that utilizes only one pump and it works fine. We also have an SWG, but it obviously would be too much chlorine for a 600 gallon spa. Hope that all makes sense.

Thanks for the replies. I am learning more and more each day. We had a chat with the PB relative to this part of the quote. They say that running in circulation mode with the waterfall and overflow operating is a better way to go than adding an additional pump/valve to power the 36" cascade on its own. They are going to quote an upcharge for it, but don't think it is money well spent.

Melt In The Sun said:
I wouldn't bother with a separate pump, but a valve, absolutely. Sometimes you just won't want the waterfall on. It should not cost much to just add a valve.

Thanks for the feedback. So, no extra pump but a valve so that we can have it not run in circulation mode? I just want to make sure I understand your suggestion.

What pipe sizes are the builders planning to use for the spa? Too-small pipes are too common and will lead to weak jets. Generally at least 2.5" for the spa suction and 2" for the returns, but bigger is better. How far is the spa from the equipment area?

Melt In The Sun said:
What pipe sizes are the builders planning to use for the spa? Too-small pipes are too common and will lead to weak jets. Generally at least 2.5" for the spa suction and 2" for the returns, but bigger is better. How far is the spa from the equipment area?

The quote says, Spa plumbing: 3" suction lines Pool: 3" suction lines, 2.5" return lines. The spa will be about 10-12 feet from equipment.

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Performa - the deeper your pool is in the deep end, the steeper the drop off will have to be to get there. It sounds like
maybe you thought of this gathering from a previous post, but it is an important consideration. The size of the pool and the depth sort of go
hand-in-hand when downward slope angle on the floor is important to you.

CombatYoga said:
Hi Performa - the deeper your pool is in the deep end, the steeper the drop off will have to be to get there. It sounds like
maybe you thought of us gathering from a previous post, but it is an important consideration. The size of the pool and the depth sort of go
hand-in-hand when downward slope angle on the floor is important to you.

Thanks for the reply. The PB we like uses a CAD program that illustrates the angle/degree of slope for different depth schemes. We are leaning towards a 3'6 to 5'6 pool depth. The way we have it laid out gives us a little over 17' of water no deeper than 4'6....we may take it out to 20' and have a steeper drop off.

Any other feedback relative to drop off/depth angles is greatly appreciated!

Our waterfall and tanning ledge bubbler only run when the pool is in circulation mode at a high speed (1900 rpm barely trickles over the spa). When we want the waterfall on we just press the "pool" button on the remote and it turns everything on (when friends are over and you want to show off the pool features). I turned the pump down and ran it longer so the water features would be on most of the day.

I heard the same complaints regarding PebbleSheen vs PebbleTec so we went with PebbleSheen. We haven't been disappointed. The LED lights are amazing with the blue granite PebbleSheen. You can click on our pool build in my signature and see a light show and pictures of the pool completed.

Good luck! It is an awesome journey :)

Monkey's Mom said:
Our waterfall and tanning ledge bubbler only run when the pool is in circulation mode at a high speed (1900 rpm barely trickles over the spa). When we want the waterfall on we just press the "pool" button on the remote and it turns everything on (when friends are over and you want to show off the pool features). I turned the pump down and ran it longer so the water features would be on most of the day.

I heard the same complaints regarding PebbleSheen vs PebbleTec so we went with PebbleSheen. We haven't been disappointed. The LED lights are amazing with the blue granite PebbleSheen. You can click on our pool build in my signature and see a light show and pictures of the pool completed.

Good luck! It is an awesome journey :)

Thanks for the feedback. We are excited about getting this project going. The people we bought the home from (short sale) poured alot of odd cement ribbons in the backyard, but did nothing else. We've kept the shutters closed and haven't ventured out back much since we moved in to the place in April.

Any other comments about the plumbing, controllers, pebble tec colors (we're leaning towards Tahoe Blue), depth, or anything else we should pay special attention to prior to beginning construction is appreciated.

I'm sure your PB has this covered, but elevations are very important through every stage of the project and sometimes the sub contractors don't do hand-off's very well. I was surprised at how little each sub knew about what the other subs do, but one area where the hand-off needs to be seamless is with elevations. The pool builds in elevation through each stage of the project... culminating in the decking. You really want to make sure the pool deck and coping won't be too high or too low in relation to the rest of your yard... or existing concrete. Also, the elevation of the jets in the spa is important. Pay attention to that part to make sure they're positioned where you want before gunite.

fyton2v said:
I'm sure your PB has this covered, but elevations are very important through every stage of the project and sometimes the sub contractors don't do hand-off's very well. I was surprised at how little each sub knew about what the other subs do, but one area where the hand-off needs to be seamless is with elevations. The pool builds in elevation through each stage of the project... culminating in the decking. You really want to make sure the pool deck and coping won't be too high or too low in relation to the rest of your yard... or existing concrete. Also, the elevation of the jets in the spa is important. Pay attention to that part to make sure they're positioned where you want before gunite.

Thank you. That is definitely something I'll be looking out for.

Thought I'd put another pic up of the proposed pool entry. The PB calls it an aqua reef step....it's 6' wide and 4'6 deep. Any thoughts/suggestions about that? The PB says it will be cool to sit in a chair at this spot and kick back.....

Attachments

• Rife_007 (1).jpg
    Rife_007 (1).jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 124
Well, we pulled the trigger and are building a pool. I'd like to thank everyone for their helpful suggestions and feedback. They made us feel more comfortable moving forward with this. I'll be posting pics in the next few weeks. The only thing that didn't work out completely for us is the location of the equipment. We don't have enough room (5' setbacks) to put it on the side of the house so it's going to be approximately 10' from the spa. Oh well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.