New pump, need help selecting

bassboy56

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 9, 2011
Michigan
After 14 years it's time to replace my 3/4hp American Products pump. The old pump had a 1.25 sf drew 10.8 amps @110 volts. I have a single 1.5" pve line in to the pump and a single 1.5" pvc line out to pool which feeds 2 returns. Using the info on the "losing your head" post I have about 50' of head.
I am looking at the Pentair Whisperflo WFE-2 1/2 hp pump as a replacement. Is this going to be too much pump for me? Would the Superflo 3/4hp high efficieny pump be a better fit? I see they both draw the same 8.8 amps @ 110 volts. What are the differences between the 2 pumps?
Thanks everyone for all your help

The WhisperFlo will move more water and draw more power than the SuperFlo. The amp ratings are peak. The actual amps depend on the load, which depends on the impeller, which are different between the two pumps, while the motors are the same.

You can save a noticeable amount of electricity over either of those choices by getting a slightly larger two speed pump and running it on low speed. A 1/2 HP two speed would be even better, but no one makes one.

I had never considered a 2 speed pump as I was planning to you use a Poolpilot DIG-220 as a pump timer. Since the Pentair SuperFlo uses a toggle switch to switch speeds am I correct in thinking that it would wire into the Poolpilot the same as a single speed pump. Would the 3/4 hp dual feed work or would the 1 hp be a better fit? About how many gallons would the dual speed pump on low speed, and would that be enough for Poolpilot to work?

The number of gallons moved by any specific pump very much depends on lots and lots of details of your plumbing setup. So, I can't say what it will be in your pool. Still, for most pools without any spa, or fountain, or waterfall, or other water feature, 3/4 HP on low speed is plenty for both the pool and the SWG.

Yes, a dual speed with a manual speed selection switch gets wired the same way as a single speed pump from the point of view of the timer and SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.